• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Blackmailed into address fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

southflorida025

I live in South Florida.
My girlfriend and I broke up (never married, no kids of our own), and she no longer lives at my address.
She and her new boyfriend have registered her children from a previous marriage into public schools in my district using my address on a cell phone bill of hers, and have threatened to tell my friends and family that I cheated on her during our relationship if I attempt to do anything about it.
I suppose ruining my reputation wouldn't be a bad thing as I don't have any close friends anyway, but I was wondering what actions I should take to avoid involving myself with this address fraud situation while still maintaining some dignity. Any ideas? Thanks.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Why do you care what she tells your friends or family? How is that a threat?

If it doesn't bother you, and it doesn't seem to, then take whatever action you were contemplating to begin with.

You are not involved in this "address fraud situation". It has nothing to do with you, it's all on her. How did you even find out about this?

southflorida025

Thanks for the reply highwayman.

I found out because her kids have been hanging out in my complex after school until their mom got out of work, but happened to need to use the restroom the other day and only knew of my place.

I have a circle of friends with very high moral standards in which any little personality defect is a mark of shame that makes you an outcast. She has thought up a very wild story and of course everyone will believe her without hearing anything from me because she has very innocent looking eyes and can convince people of anything.

Who do I notify about the address? The school? What would the consequences for her be?

HighwayMan

When you said you didn't have any close friends anyway it sounded like you didn't care if she told anyone.

How old are these kids that they are hanging out alone in a strange place with no supervision?

The school should be notified, or the controlling body of the school (education board, etc.) - probably the same body which registers the kids for school. I would think that the only penalty would be that the kids would be denied registration and the mother would be advised to register them in their home district. In some areas something like this is taken more seriously than in others. I don't think alot of school agencies would be looking to make a huge effort to investigate this, but I don't know how it works where you live. You would have to report this to find out.

HighwayMan

Also keep in mind that you may be getting correspondence from the school via mail at your address. You could go to the school at that point and say "why do you keep sending me this stuff this person doesn't live here".

swalsh411

You're worried your that former girlfriend, a woman who has at least two children with a man she is not in a relationship with and is shacking up with yet another man, can make a baseless accussation that will ruin your reputation??? :confused::confused: You don't give your friends much credit. But they really aren't that great of friends to begin with if they would shun you based on an unfounded rumor from a w...... well I better not say.

Antigone*

I live in South Florida.
My girlfriend and I broke up (never married, no kids of our own), and she no longer lives at my address.
She and her new boyfriend have registered her children from a previous marriage into public schools in my district using my address on a cell phone bill of hers, and have threatened to tell my friends and family that I cheated on her during our relationship if I attempt to do anything about it.
I suppose ruining my reputation wouldn't be a bad thing as I don't have any close friends anyway, but I was wondering what actions I should take to avoid involving myself with this address fraud situation while still maintaining some dignity. Any ideas? Thanks.
You must be a very weak man to allow yourself to be bullied this way. Simply tell people this vindictive woman is lying and has an agenda of her own.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent ~ Eleanor Roosevelt.

davew128

I have a circle of friends with very high moral standards in which any little personality defect is a mark of shame that makes you an outcast.
Where I am from we have terms for people like you who worry about something like that. It starts with gutless and gets progressively more profane from there.

Some Random Guy

A preemptive e-mail to send to your friends and/or post on facebook.

"Dear friend,

Recently someone has tried to blackmail me into performing unethical acts by threatening to spread malicious rumors about me.

Despite the damage that it will do to my reputation, I have decided to ignore the blackmail attempt and do the right thing instead of allowing these unethical and possibly illegal acts to continue.

If the blackmailer comes to their senses and moves on with their life, then I will be happy to let this matter drop without revealing their identity. Otherwise, you may begin to hear strange things about me that appear out of character. Take these rumors with a grain of salt. Please contact me directly about any wild rumors instead of spreading them around unconfirmed and giving this blackmailer any satisfaction. "

In some areas something like this is taken more seriously than in others. I don't think alot of school agencies would be looking to make a huge effort to investigate this, but I don't know how it works where you live.
There have been cases in my area where the most popular school districts have investigated residence fraud and then sued the parents for the full cost of school tuition (based on state funding per child in that district), plus investigation fees, plus legal fees. So depending on how agressive the district is, thus can be an expensive lesson for your ex-gf.

davew128

By doing nothing, you are a party to the fraud and are potentially liable.
I think thats overstating the matter. Failure to act doesn't make someone a party to an action. If I receive mail addressed to someone else in my mailbox and that person does not live at the address, I'm not complicit in their fraud if I toss the mail out. Now if a school representative knocks on the door and you say the ex-GF isn't home and otherwise represent something along those lines, then the OP has a problem.

xylene

I think thats overstating the matter. Failure to act doesn't make someone a party to an action. If I receive mail addressed to someone else in my mailbox and that person does not live at the address, I'm not complicit in their fraud if I toss the mail out. Now if a school representative knocks on the door and you say the ex-GF isn't home and otherwise represent something along those lines, then the OP has a problem.
The poster is doing more than ignoring mail.

He is a co-conspirator.

N

NeverWrong

yes

You must be a very weak man to allow yourself to be bullied this way. Simply tell people this vindictive woman is lying and has an agenda of her own.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent ~ Eleanor Roosevelt.
Is Antigone*of*Greece hinting that you should shoot this girl? Wow.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">