• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bogus check warrant and more...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LittleMisMuffet

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

Hello :) Today in the mail came a notice from an OK District Attorney's office stating an outstanding warrant existed for my boyfriend for a bogus check, balance of 196.47, plus court costs. We were able to find a website that shows a warrant issued back in June, 2002. But he didn't move away until 2003, I think at least a year later. He is clueless (dumbfounded) about this check. But even worse is that in searching this, there shows another warrant for unlawfully obtaining unemployment benefits. It's from 2001. He did claim unemployment, but not until several years later, in Florida, after returning from Afghanistan. Is there a way to look up any details on that check and on the unemployment claim? He's at a total loss right now, he's had his background checked by the military and by getting his trucking license (although let's be clear, I have no clue how in depth those any of those searches are). He's lived in FL, married, bought a home, lived at the same address for many years. He's only lived at this address for 5 months.

We can't understand why they didn't find him back then, when he lived RIGHT THERE, if these were truly issues. And why did they only send a letter about one warrant if there are two? Will they clear the check charges if we just pay what they want? Even though the fight part of me wants to wait and see what the bleep it says/etc before making a move, of course for ease of use they sent a nice little postcard for how to pay via govpaynet or something.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

Hello :) Today in the mail came a notice from an OK District Attorney's office stating an outstanding warrant existed for my boyfriend for a bogus check, balance of 196.47, plus court costs. We were able to find a website that shows a warrant issued back in June, 2002. But he didn't move away until 2003, I think at least a year later. He is clueless (dumbfounded) about this check. But even worse is that in searching this, there shows another warrant for unlawfully obtaining unemployment benefits. It's from 2001. He did claim unemployment, but not until several years later, in Florida, after returning from Afghanistan. Is there a way to look up any details on that check and on the unemployment claim? He's at a total loss right now, he's had his background checked by the military and by getting his trucking license (although let's be clear, I have no clue how in depth those any of those searches are). He's lived in FL, married, bought a home, lived at the same address for many years. He's only lived at this address for 5 months.

We can't understand why they didn't find him back then, when he lived RIGHT THERE, if these were truly issues. And why did they only send a letter about one warrant if there are two? Will they clear the check charges if we just pay what they want? Even though the fight part of me wants to wait and see what the bleep it says/etc before making a move, of course for ease of use they sent a nice little postcard for how to pay via govpaynet or something.
I think he's going to need to contact the OK District Attorney's office that sent the letter. Assuming the notice is legit, then all I have to say about the wait is that information technology and retrieval gets better all the time.

LittleMisMuffet

OMG. He did contact them. This mess is over two checks, apparently. One for 10 bucks and one for 14. I am not supporting anyone who writes bad checks, but seriously? He has no other details on the checks. The other thing is that he closed his bank account when he moved away, why didn't the bank have notice of 2 bad checks? So 196.plus for the DA and 116.plus for court fees for 24.00 that he never knew about, even though he was local and they could have contacted him easily. Crazy. Can't wait to find out what the other issue entails.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">