• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Boyfriend sexually assaulted me.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bekahbee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I'm not American. I hope I can still post even though I'm from Alberta, seems close enough to me but I'm not an expert.

I just feel really ashamed and manipulated and embarrassed this even happened. So me and my (now ex)boyfriend were hanging out one night so we decided to watch the stars. I was drinking a little bit. We went and we started making out. And he got really touchy like more touchy than usual. His hands were exploring everything. The whole time I was really uncomfortable, since that isn't what I do. I decided I didn't want to do this anymore after he took off my shirt. I told him, "I don't want you to think that you are doing anything wrong, but I can't do this." He just ignored me and kept going and unclipped my bra. I figured he didn't hear me. I didn't really do much about it which embarrasses me. But it wasn't enjoyable. But things went a little farther and I distinctly remember 2 other times (I know exactly when they happened) where I said I didn't want to do this and I wasn't ready. I tell my self he didn't hear me because I know he did because the next day he was all like, "Did that stop mean stop orrrrrr-" I waited for an or. There was no or. He knew I wanted to stop. I feel really manipulated and used. I called Kids Help Phone and they told me it was sexual assault even though we never had sex. We got really close to it though. But I dunno. I'm so stupid about caring about this. I wish it never happened.

I don't really know. I don't think there is anything I could do legally, but I find talking about it, even anonymously online, helps the healing process. And I like to use my options even though I will probably never use them. (I'm 17, he's 18 if that matters). Please help. :(

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I'm not American. I hope I can still post even though I'm from Alberta, seems close enough to me but I'm not an expert.

I just feel really ashamed and manipulated and embarrassed this even happened. So me and my (now ex)boyfriend were hanging out one night so we decided to watch the stars. I was drinking a little bit. We went and we started making out. And he got really touchy like more touchy than usual. His hands were exploring everything. The whole time I was really uncomfortable, since that isn't what I do. I decided I didn't want to do this anymore after he took off my shirt. I told him, "I don't want you to think that you are doing anything wrong, but I can't do this." He just ignored me and kept going and unclipped my bra. I figured he didn't hear me. I didn't really do much about it which embarrasses me. But it wasn't enjoyable. But things went a little farther and I distinctly remember 2 other times (I know exactly when they happened) where I said I didn't want to do this and I wasn't ready. I tell my self he didn't hear me because I know he did because the next day he was all like, "Did that stop mean stop orrrrrr-" I waited for an or. There was no or. He knew I wanted to stop. I feel really manipulated and used. I called Kids Help Phone and they told me it was sexual assault even though we never had sex. We got really close to it though. But I dunno. I'm so stupid about caring about this. I wish it never happened.

I don't really know. I don't think there is anything I could do legally, but I find talking about it, even anonymously online, helps the healing process. And I like to use my options even though I will probably never use them. (I'm 17, he's 18 if that matters). Please help. :(

Sorry, but Canadian law is not the same as US law.

I'd probably start by reporting the incident to the police, though.

Proserpina

Oh, I'm really, really sorry. :(
No, it's okay! It's just that the laws vary within the US from state to state - and as far as I know we've only got a teeny few Canadian/dual nationality posters here and they tend to stick with the employment law sections.

It's important though that you get some help, and find some support.

I wish you the best of luck!

sandyclaus

Unfortunately, on this forum, we only address issues in US law. Often times, laws for other countries can be substantially different, as are the procedures for following those laws.

One thing you can do is to break up with the guy. If he doesn't realize what the word NO means, I wouldn't give him a second chance to do this again.

As far as criminal prosecution, that's entirely up to you. You could call police and discuss the situation with an officer to help you decide whether or not you wish to try to press charges against the guy.

The last, but certainly NOT the least, thing you should do is to contact a local Rape Crisis Center. Discussing the situation with them will help you gain clarity. They can also guide you in what you can and cannot do as far as seeing him charged or prosecuted for what he did. The best thing you can gain from it is the ability to deal with what happened, and to help you prevent something like that from happening again in the future.

I wish you the best.

eerelations

I am in Canada and I can say the laws on sexual assault are pretty similar to those in the US. What you've experienced is illegal sexual assault - calling the police immediately is your next step. That said, I also agree that you need to contact a local rape crisis centre asap.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">