• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breach of Peace (please read)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

Screwed101

Hi. I posted this in another section but it seems like more people frequent this one, so here goes:

Well, I got arrested. Here's what happened:
Ok, so I saw a person I know from back in my home town (we were on the swim team together) and he called me some sh!t I definitely didn't like. So I punched him in the face right in front of a cop I didn't see. The cop pulled me over to the side of his car, and asked the kid if he wanted to press charges. The kid declined (I didn't hit him hard at all), so the cop let me go. I was walking down the street, and I wanted to talk to my other friend about it (my best friend). But he wanted to talk to his girlfriend about everything, so he declined. We got into a huge shouting match, and before I knew it the cops were back. They arrested me, calling it a "breach of peace", even though my friend declined it was anythign serious at all (just a shouting match between friends. No punches were exchanged) but they arrested me anyway. Therefore, both counts of offense have been denied (both the fight and the shouting match), but they arrested me anyway. My question is: Can I get in trouble for this (in court) if I have my witnesses (those who denied it) to back me up??????? I'm going to be defending myself here.

Also, what's the worst that I can get for breach of peace? A fine? What I'm most worried about is it going on my criminal record. I've never been arrested before, and it's scary stuff, guys. Anything I can do to get just, like, probation because this is my first time getting arrested? Do you think I will be found guilty if I plead my case well? Also, since this is a very minor charge, should I get a lawyer or not? because I perfer not to....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">