• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking down door

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bunruh

Texas. My ex and I recently broke up. We have been living together in the same apartment for 6 months. The lease is in his mothers name as he had a felony on his record at the time. I have most of my belongings there and he dead bolted me out so I could not get in. I broke down the door to get in. Can I be prosecuted for this since it had my belongings in it and was still my residence? Neither of us are on the lease but I do have previous communication with the management office there regarding different issues we had with the apartment previously. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

justalayman

You can be held liable for the damages. It would be up to a prosecutor to determine whether criminal charges will be filed but yes, intentionally damaging property you don't own can result in a criminal charge.

Why is it ok for you to break into the apartment to retrieve property yet you are concerned about your ex doing the same thing at the storage unit?

Bunruh

He has already destroyed most of my clothing by spraying bleach on all of it. I had artwork and other things I was afraid of being destroyed too. I would never do the same to his belongings and have offered several times for him to come get them with me there.

LdiJ

He has already destroyed most of my clothing by spraying bleach on all of it. I had artwork and other things I was afraid of being destroyed too. I would never do the same to his belongings and have offered several times for him to come get them with me there.
Why don't you just get all of your items out of the storage unit and then it won't matter what he does.

Eekamouse

Not true. You broke down the door to the rental that his mother is the leaseholder on and is responsible for.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">