• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking and Entering

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

miken79

What is the name of your state? West Virginia

I have a friend who got divorced about 2 years ago. Her ex constantly tries to get her back. Well, he currently lives in their old house which she owns half of. One morning while dropping the kids off at his parent's house (Who live across the street from him.), she saw a strange car in the driveway. He always told her he had not been with anyone and wanted her back. So, to prove that he was with someone else, she walked through the back door and saw him in bed with another woman. She left and went to work. Ever since than, he has called her numerous times wanting to talk. She has ignored his calls and is done with him. A week later he is leaving voice mails that if she does not call him back, he will press charges for breaking and entering. I know that legally, what she did can be considered a break and entering, or more as trespassing since this was his residence. What is your opinion on her situation? If he does press charges, do you think she could be prosecuted? Should she be worried?

Just Blue

Is the home owned jointly between them? Is the home marital property and he was awarded the residence by a court order? Is he a tenant of hers and the other owner?

miken79

The home is owned jointly between them. The court said the house was to be sold or one or the other bought out on their half.

seniorjudge

The home is owned jointly between them. The court said the house was to be sold or one or the other bought out on their half.
If that is really what the judgment in the lawsuit said, then the title to this property is screwed up royally.

You need to hire a lawyer and stay away from your ex-husby.

seniorjudge

Q: If he does press charges, do you think she could be prosecuted?

A: Certainly. But you haven't given us enough facts to tell you what might happen. For example, does husby alone have total control over the house even though you own half?

miken79

I just talked to her. The court decided he could live in the house and that he had to buy her out on her half. So, this is considered his residence and she will be considered trespassing.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Just Blue

I just talked to her. The court decided he could live in the house and that he had to buy her out on her half. So, this is considered his residence and she will be considered trespassing.

Thanks for everyone's help.
No. It would be considered unlawful entry. She has zero right to go into HIS home.

miken79

But it can also be considered as illegal trespass only if there was no intent on committing a crime when done.

Just Blue

But it can also be considered as illegal trespass only if there was no intent on committing a crime when done.
Who told you that? Her intent was obvious. She knowingly and illegally went into someone else's home to invade their privacy.

miken79

I was just going by definition on law.com. I am sorry if I misunderstood.

I agree, she should have never went in there. Now I can only hope that he is bluffing. It's a crazy relationship. She has something issues of letting go. A few weeks ago, she forgot her keys outside. He walked into her house, assaulted her/harassed and than left. She called the police and file charges. To this day he has not been arrested. Now, I know.. why would she go into his house after all of this? I do not know.

Thanks again,

Just Blue

I was just going by definition on law.com. I am sorry if I misunderstood.

I agree, she should have never went in there. Now I can only hope that he is bluffing. It's a crazy relationship. She has something issues of letting go. A few weeks ago, she forgot her keys outside. He walked into her house, assaulted her/harassed and than left. She called the police and file charges. To this day he has not been arrested. Now, I know.. why would she go into his house after all of this? I do not know.

Thanks again,
Sounds like a toxic relationship that will end badly for someone if the parties don't grow up...

:(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">