• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breaking and Entering

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

Cindyi

Thank you for your prompt reply. I'm not sure whether I feel better about this thing or worse. I have a little more specific information about my sons case in Dallas.

He is charged with only one count of Burglary of a Building. The case is in District Court. The charge is a State Felony. The District Attorney has offered him either 180 days in jail or 5 years probation. His choice.

Questions: Is it possible in the state of Texas to drop this State Felony down to a 1st class misdemeanor? And, is it common for the DA to offer an "either/or"?

My son's attorney is still doubling the price of his services.

Let me assure you that I am not "picking nits", and just need some answers. Thank you.

B

buddy2bear

As far as the cost of the attorney is concerned, you have to ask yourself -- What price am I willing to pay for my son not to lose his freedom? --

As for "dealing" with the prosecutor -- that will depend on how good your lawyer is, whether the prosecutor will deal and whether or not your son has any prior record. Your lawyer should know how the prosecutors/judges are in the area.

You know those "Texas 7" that escaped some time ago? When they were captured, they said something to the effect that "Texas keeps throwing younger people in jail for longer periods of time for stupid stuff without offering any kind of hope." This country is hell-bent on raising every "crime" to the level of a felony thereby putting the next generation in jail, instead of training them to become productive citizens.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">