• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Breath Test Required to Cite for underage drinking?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mjlcheer

What is the name of your state? PA. I am 18. I was at a party that got busted by State Police. When it was my turn to see the police, the officer immediately started to fill out a citation form, and only asked how much I had drank after he was almost completely done filling out the citation. I answered honestly "one beer" (please dont scoff, this is the truth). He did not offer a breath test for me. So I asked him to take a breath test at least 4 times, knowing I would pass, and he said : there is no point and it doesnt matter now ma'am. He gave me a citation for underage drinking.
Yes, I know I was wrong in having the one beer. I have learned my lesson. It was my first and my last drink until I am of legal age. They did their job in reminding me the consequences of breaking the law are not worth it. My question is: Was the officer correct in refusing my requests for a breath test? Thankyou.

CdwJava

He is under no obligation to give you a test. Your statement to the officer can be used as evidence against you should you go to court.

If the local court required a test for a successful prosecution, then you probably would have been given one. But, apparently they will prosecute without it.

- Carl

ikecvfd2

You were charged with underaged drinking which you admitted to by saying you had one drink. What would be the point on a breath test if you already admittied to it. It isn't like DWI where you have to have a certain BAC to be charged. If you are underage and drink any whatsoever you are guilty.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">