• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Brother stole mom's bankcard

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

justamar

What is the name of your state? KY
My brother took mom's bank card and charged almost $500 on the card before we caught it and had the card cancelled. He used it as a creditcard at 14 different locations. Since she only had $200 in her account, the bank has imposed a $31 overdraft fee for each of the charges he made. My mother has suffered strokes and is not fully capable of taking care of herself. My brother bullied her when he took the card which is a form of abuse. I am sure he used the card to purchase cigarettes, which he then exchanged for crack. Three of the charges were at cheap motels where he probably used the drugs. Now mother has no money for next month's rent or to pay any of her bills. It is a sad situation. Is there anything I can do?

Feeling helpless.

enjay

Press charges against your brother. Then take a copy to the bank and beg them to refund the charges.

J

justamar

Brother

Thanks ... some brother, huh.

I wondered if the merchants were somehow liable since they took the card without checking to see if his signature was on it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">