• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

brother in trouble pleeeeeeeease help.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

RobinFL

What is the name of your state? FLORIDA

I could use some advice please!! Back in mid-October my older brother was fired from his retail job for theft. To give you a basic rundown of what happened... He had been selling stuff from his job on Ebay and sent some packages out from work without paying for them. The jist from what he was telling me was that he sent the wrong item to a lady and she contacted the store looking for him. The store manager apparently answered the phone and had no idea what she was talking about and directed the woman to customer service. The woman called customer service about it and they alerted loss prevention. Loss prevention started an investigation on him and came to his store and pulled him in the office and showed him a printed copy of his ebay listings. He told me they asked him if he had sent packages out from the store without paying for them, to which he admitted he had. They also asked him if he had re-sold merchandise, to which he also admitted to doing. They also asked him if he had stolen other merchandise and he said that he answered no. So he said they had him write up a statement saying that he had sent packages out without paying for them and re-sold merchandise. The loss prevention guy left the room and talked to the store manager for a bit and came back in and told him they were basically going to fire him. I am really concerned b/c since this I've seen a complete change in my brother. He has moved on and attained a new job, which i'm thrilled about, but he just seems very stressed and not the usual sweetheart that he really is. He was a great sales associate from what I knew of him, in fact he was the sales associate of the year when he was fired and has never been in any legal troubles in his life. I'd just hate for him to mess up his life really bad b/c of something dumb he did one time. Now I dunno if he has stolen anything, he said he didn't...but i'm thinking he has, and from what I gather they said there was stuff that they couldn't find him paying for on these listings. I asked him if they made him write on the statement about the merchandise and he said no. This was way back in October and he hasn't heard anything and is still freaked out about it. The only thing I could think of is them waiting until the end of January to get inventory results on the merchandise? I just hate seeing him upset and would like to offer him some kind of support. :(

BelizeBreeze

If you want to offer him support tell him to get an attorney to deal with this. The minimum he is going to face is monetary restitution and civil theft charges. The worst is, depending on the value of his theft, felony theft.

RobinFL

BelizeBreeze said:
If you want to offer him support tell him to get an attorney to deal with this. The minimum he is going to face is monetary restitution and civil theft charges. The worst is, depending on the value of his theft, felony theft.
Its been 3 months since all of this went down and they didn't call the police on him that day like I assume they would have. I was talking to him tonight and suggested he go speak to someone to get some kind of legal advise should something come up.

rmet4nzkx

YOur brother did a very stupid thing, stealing from his employer and selling on Ebay. Rest assured they will follow up once they have gathered all the evidence. Does his current employer know of his history of theft?

RobinFL

rmet4nzkx said:
YOur brother did a very stupid thing, stealing from his employer and selling on Ebay. Rest assured they will follow up once they have gathered all the evidence. Does his current employer know of his history of theft?
As far as I know they only know about him shipping several packages from the store without paying (to which he admitted), as for the stuff on ebay he violated a company policy stating you cannot resell merchandise. They don't have "proof" that he has stolen, but he said they can't find evidence where a lot of the stuff was paid for and he claims to not have all the receipts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">