• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Burglary of a bldg. Questions?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DRandcrew

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas

Ok, to make this short. My sister and brother in law had two storage sheds. Last day to pay was 7/1/05. They went 7/2/05 and saw another lock on it. Apparantly they broke the lock off and started to remove their stuff. (well I guess legally-until they paid, it was the possession of the storage shed co) Ok.. so police come and ask them questions and see his bolt cutters. They are questioned about where the stuff is going. They tell them to their warehouse. My sister is a shopping freak and has bought sheds for the past 4 years and finally started storing stuff at her sons warehouse/shop. Ok.. so they arrest them on burglary charge (2 counts because they had 2 sheds). They then went to the warehouse and saw all the items, thought (still might think) it was a theft ring. EVERYONE knows my sister and has tried to talk to her about her shopping and how pointless it was. The stuff is NOT organized, thrown in there, you can't walk, it rains in the bldg so much of it is mildewed/ruined. There is no rhythm or reason to this stuff. So I don't know how they'd think it was a ring based on that BUT there is a ton of stuff. Ok.. so the detective tells my brother (my brother recorded the call) that he is going to do whatever he can to keep them in jail. He said he is upset because they could have made everything easier on everyone by accepting his deal and they refused. The deal was that he'd charge them on one count. Ok.. first question? Can the detective even BEGIN to 'offer a deal'? He said he offered it to them at the scene and they refused.

This is a small town in TX and something doesn't seem right. They were given 100,00 one first count and 150,000 on second count. (two different judges) We are just blown away by the amounts here! A man murdered his wife in front of his grandson and only got 100k. So.. WOW! The detective stopped my nephew (driving) to tell him that he was a suspect because he rents the shop and told him that he was going to make sure he never saw his mom/dad again. My nephew told him we were bonding them out that day and bam.. they added a charge-this time theft of over 20k and the jail refused to release them with the pending charge. Now it is almost a week later and this 'charge' has not been processed.

The city DA, 3 judges were out at the 'scene' (warehouse) which we were later told by someone was absolutely the wrong thing to do. The police are stopping my nephew repeatedly to tell him he is a suspect. He was stopped 5 times in a 10 mile drive the other day. Took him 1 1/2 hrs to get to my moms.

The police then released the shed but gave the keys to the owner, not my nephew who rents the shed. We pulled up and the owner has two pickups loaded with items from the shed and they stated that the police told them to just get rid of it and evict my nephew.

My friend who is a police officer in Colorado said this stuff could never happen there and something seems incredibly off.

This isn't a matter of did they or did they not do something right/wrong. It is more questions of are they proceeding in a legal matter or what recourse do we have to stop this. My nephew is a basketcase because he knows his mom/dad are in jail for now a month and the police are constantly hounding him. he has a family and is just terrified they are going to pull something to get him in jail because the fact that my sister and brother in law are still in jail on a quarter of a million dollars for burglarly to a building.. WOW! The detective is adament and I think he stuck his neck out too far and can't back down. Apparantly, he told the judge that he thought there was a chop shop at the warehouse too because there were so many cars but once all titles were given/shown, he dropped that BUT he is still pushing theft ring. My sister couldn't even pay her bills.... no money there and certainly no 'ring'.

Any advice?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">