• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Burning Money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

IDC.ALICE

Is it illegal to burn money (for example a 100$ bill) or to give someone else money if you know that they intend to burn it?

seniorjudge

Q: Is it illegal to burn money (for example a 100$ bill) or to give someone else money if you know that they intend to burn it?

A: Send the money to me. I'll take care of it for you.

IDC.ALICE

bURNIG MONEY

Layers have the worst sense of humor ever.
I was actually serious. Wold it be illegal to burn a substantial amount of money in a public place?

This would be a violation of Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code, which says that “whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined not more than $100 or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.” The law is enforced by the Secret Service.

IDC.ALICE

This would be a violation of Title 18, Section 333 of the United States Code, which says that “whoever mutilates, cuts, disfigures, perforates, unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, Federal Reserve Bank, or Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such item(s) unfit to be reissued, shall be fined not more than $100 or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.” The law is enforced by the Secret Service.
Thank you for the help.
Is it also illegal for other people to send me money, if they are aware of the fact that I am going to burn it?

outonbail

Listen, all this nonsense about burning money, what exactly is it you plan on doing? Do you really have a problem with people sending you money so you can burn it?

Because I have the perfect solution.
Gather up all the money you can. Get everything from your bank accounts, the safe hidden under the carpet in your closet, from your friends, enemies, people you don't know, insurance settlements, inheritance, bank heists, vending machines and collection plates. Then total it all up. Western Union me this amount and I will write you a check equal to the amount, (less handling fees of 10%) and I will overnight the check to you.
You can then set the check on fire, shoot it, blow it up and poison it without breaking any laws.

This way no one will be in any trouble! (as long as you don't try to cash it)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">