• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Burying Bodies Backyard? (Los Angeles County, CA)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kmcdaniel6

California, specifically: Los Angeles County

I know this is a strange question! Please forgive me -- I am a writer! :)

I need to know if there are any civil &/or criminal laws against burying a dead body on one's own property in Los Angeles County? &, if so, what are the possible penalties? If possible, I would especially like to know the law/penalties that were in effect during the 1960s.

Thanks!

HomeGuru

kmcdaniel6 said:

I need to know if there are any civil &/or criminal laws against burying a dead body on one's own property in Los Angeles County? &, if so, what are the possible penalties? If possible, I would especially like to know the law/penalties that were in effect during the 1960s.

Thanks!
**A: would these dead bodies be from a murder or something?

Son of Slam

kmcdaniel6 said:

Thanks!

I'm in San Bernardino County but would guess it's the same. I have buried many dead bodies on my property and no one has said a thing about it. I would guess that if someone seen me burying a live body I might be in trouble.

K

kmcdaniel6

In Response to HomeGuru:

Actually, it's going to be an accidental death, but, in the meantime, my character is going to be suspected of murder. I just need to know if he is going to be completely vindicated when it turns out to be an accidental death, or if he is going to have some trouble over the fact that he buried the body on his property? It's a possible loose end that I might need to tie up ...

calatty

California Health and Safety Code section 7054:
(a)(1) Except as authorized pursuant to the sections referred to in subdivision (b), every person who deposits or disposes of any human remains in any place, except in a cemetery, is guilty of a misdemeanor.
(2) Every licensee or registrant pursuant to Chapter 12 (commencing with Section 7600) or Chapter 19 (commencing with Section 9600) of Division 3 of the Business and Professions Code and the agents and employees of the licensee or registrant, or any unlicensed person acting in a capacity in which a license from the Cemetery and Funeral Bureau is required, who, except as authorized pursuant to the sections referred to in subdivision (b), deposits or disposes of any human remains in any place, except in a cemetery, is guilty of a misdemeanor that shall be punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, by a fine not exceeding ten thousand dollars ($10,000), or both that imprisonment and fine.
(b) Cremated remains may be disposed of pursuant to Sections 7054.6, 7116, 7117, and 103060.

K

kmcdaniel6

In Response To Calatty

Perfect! Thank you. Would you also happen to know how long this code has been in effect? In other words, do you know if it was in effect during the 1960s? Thank you again for all your help! :)

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

CalAtty is one "body" I would love to bury in my backyard. I'd even work to obtain a variance and special legislative dispensation to do it.

However, I'll settle for her staying off the forums.

IAAL

K

kmcdaniel6

In Response to Calatty

Thank you Calatty -- you rock! :) Especially since your responses were the only ones that were actually helpful. Thanks again!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">