• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business Lottery must pay to enter?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jshergert

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hello. I live in WI. Today I was at Walmart and there was a raffle to give away a bike. The only way to get a ticket to enter the raffle is to buy a 1 dollar piece of candy.

I asked two employes and a manager if and how I can enter the raffle for free. They all told me no, the only way is to pay for the candy.

My question is isn't this an illegal lottery? It was my understanding that if you wanted to have a raffle or lottery type of conduct it is required under the law to allow someone to enter for free. Is this correct? and if I am right and this is illegal, who should I contact to report this practice? Is it possible to sue under a class action because obviously many people have entered this lottery and not all of them probably wanted the candy?

Thank you very much for your time:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

cyjeff

Let me get this straight.

This didn't happen at Walmart but out front, right?

So, a bunch of kids was trying to sell candy to raise money for something and they decided to sweeten the pot (pun intended) but also giving everyone a chance to win a bike.

Is this correct?

Yeah, technically illegal. So are basketball pools at work around the brackets.

Cops don't care. DAs don't care.

A class action suit would be laughed out of court even if you could convince a lawyer to take it to court. You won't because lawyers don't like to look like raving lunatics.

Let it go. You are embarrassing yourself. Stop trying to win the lawsuit lottery.

FlyingRon

If it were Wal*Mart conducting the raffle you would be right. However, I would have to believe that this would be not something they would do. Wisconsin does however permit bona fide charitable, religious, etc... organizations to conduct such.

jshergert

OP explanation

No. This raffle was inside Wal-mart directly in front of the service desk. It was to raffle a Wal-Mart bike for no other purpose that I could see. I did stand there and look at it for quite a while so I am quite sure I would have noticed any charitable involvement. (I was there so long because there was a line and I actually had no business there, I had just brought a friend of mine who had to return some items but is on disability and cannot afford a car.)

I am really not interested in a case against them or anything, I am a law student and just found if very surprising that such a large corporation would openly violate the law. I was really wondering if there was some sort of regulatory body or person I could inform just b/c I do not like Wal-Mart so much and they should not be above the law. I really do not have any damages but perhaps I could get punative damages since this is a blatant violation of the law by a business which should know better. What type of suite would I file, who knows maybe they will settle it with me?

Again, thanks for your help and advice

You Are Guilty

One would think a "law student" would have sufficient Google-fu to be able not only to figure out what regulatory body to complaint to, but to also know the difference between a lawsuit and a lawsuite.

FlyingRon

If they aren't doing it on behalf of a charity, I would complain not only to the state Attorney General but also to WalMart corporate. I can't imagine that corporate endorses illegal gambling operations on behalf of their employees.

jshergert

One would think a "law student" would have sufficient Google-fu to be able not only to figure out what regulatory body to complaint to, but to also know the difference between a lawsuit and a lawsuite.
Wow you must be a genius to both flame my typo's and while not providing any information whatsoever. You must really too much free time on your hands. Why would you even bother to reply when you obviously have nothing at all to contribute?

Silverplum

Wow you must be a genius to both flame my typo's and while not providing any information whatsoever. You must really too much free time on your hands. Why would you even bother to reply when you obviously have nothing at all to contribute?
You aren't going anywhere in law with your lack of writing skills.

This is a volunteer forum. If someone decides to answer you, you have no control over who/how/when/what.

Get over yourself, Student. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

jshergert

Thank you for everyone who helped

Thanks to everyone who replied with helpful info. I really appreciate it. I apologize if some of you feel I am full of myself, I really didn't mean to come off that way.

xylene

Could be overthinking it?

I asked two employes and a manager if and how I can enter the raffle for free. They all told me no, the only way is to pay for the candy.
I do want to offer this - That perhaps maybe the legendarily super-competent and highly compensated staff at Wal*Mart dropped the ball just one time (the first time ever) and told you something incorrect and a free entry did exist but they omitted this because they truly didn't know about it and /or the correct answer as to how to enter sans purchase. ;)

There is a hint of sarcasm there, but I think you can see where I'm going.

Mass_Shyster

I do want to offer this - That perhaps maybe the legendarily super-competent and highly compensated staff at Wal*Mart dropped the ball just one time (the first time ever) and told you something incorrect and a free entry did exist but they omitted this because they truly didn't know about it and /or the correct answer as to how to enter sans purchase. ;)

There is a hint of sarcasm there, but I think you can see where I'm going.
Another possibility is that those same diligent employees neglected to display the sign that stated "All proceeds go to the society for the prevention of cruelty to popcorn kernels".

FlyingRon

Another possibility is that those same diligent employees neglected to display the sign that stated "All proceeds go to the society for the prevention of cruelty to popcorn kernels".
I think it was the "Skeet and Clay Pigeon Awareness Council" (otherwise known as Save the Skeets). A group that advocates for these things that are mercilessly hunted and killed in the name of sport.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">