• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CALIF. ILLEGAL-TEASE

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MSTRUST

Im in California. In July I was pulled over by Riverside city police officers. I inquired as to why? The officer stated my tags were expired. I asked if he did'nt notice the big red #7 (temp.reg) posted in my window? His response was, "Anyone can have one of those."
I handed him my license and informed him that to have a (temp.reg.) not only required all fees to be paid but also to carry insurance on the vehicle, both which I did have. My license was valid and I had no warrants. He went to his car and ran me.....came back and asked me to exit the vehicle. I complied. At that time he started questioning me about prior arrests/convictions, etc..(I had a drug conviction in 1993.) He then asked if he could search my vehicle. I answered, "If you have to." He did. I was arrested and booked upon him finding a controled substance. My
dilemma is......
After the officer found that my license, vehicle registration and insurance were all valid, shouldn't he have let me be on my way? I was not on parole. Is it legal for an officer to run your history and then search. That isn't probable cause is it? I was arrested but was never written a citation for any vehicle violation. My car was not impounded. Don't they need a REAL reason for pulling me over. Please advise with knowledge or experiences. Thanks!

------------------

J

Jamesis1

You complied to the search. If you had said no, I don't think he would have been allowed to search your car. They can ask though, whenever they want, you just don't have to comply.

D

DrunkN_MastR

The search was completely by the book.

------------------
Just your friendly neighborhood DrunkN_MastR tellin ya the way it is, from a scumbag street cop point of view ;)

T

Tracey

In Washington, such a request to search your vehicle wuld have been unconstitutional. When police stop someone for a traffic infraction, they may detain the person only long enough to check license, registration & insurance, run a wants & warrants check, & write a ticket if they're gonna. That you had a prior drug conviction does NOT give them reasonable suspicion that you had drugs in the car, & they can't ask to search without reasonable suspicion. Get a good defense attorney & get the search kicked. Your lawyer will need to research Terry stops & when cops can ask to search a car in CA.

In the future NEVER consent to a search or your person, house, or car. MAKE THEM GET A WARRANT!

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws. [email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">