• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California - Fake ID - no statute of limitations?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shaking

I am wondering whether there is no statute of limitations on creating a false ID in California, at least in terms of the time from the commission of the crime, even if it were committed more than 15 years ago...

I discovered this language in the Calif. Penal Code that says that "A limitation of time prescribed in this chapter does not commence to run until the discovery of an offense described in this subdivision."

Here is the exact language:
------------
803. (a) Except as provided in this section, a limitation of time
prescribed in this chapter is not tolled or extended for any reason.

(b) No time during which prosecution of the same person for the
same conduct is pending in a court of this state is a part of a
limitation of time prescribed in this chapter.
(c) A limitation of time prescribed in this chapter does not
commence to run until the discovery of an offense described in this
subdivision. This subdivision applies to an offense punishable by
imprisonment in the state prison, a material element of which is
fraud or breach of a fiduciary obligation, the commission of the
crimes of theft or embezzlement upon an elder or dependent adult, or
the basis of which is misconduct in office by a public officer,
employee, or appointee, including, but not limited to, the following
offenses:
(1) Grand theft of any type, forgery, falsification of public
records, or acceptance of a bribe by a public official or a public
employee.
------------

And here is the reason for my concern: The crime in question was the creation of a California ID card using false documents. A thumbprint was taken. Now if I apply for a driver's license in another state that requires a thumbprint, this crime could be discovered at any point in the future and I could be held accountable, regardless of the number of years that have passed since the falsifcation, correct?

Is my only option to mutilate my thumb???

CaRenter

If you are referring to your thumbprint being taken at the California DMV, they do not have their database linked to any other agencies, or DMVs in other states at this time. That may change later, but for now you are likely ok.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">