• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Calling ex names

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shannons62472

I've called my ex names that he has earned, and seems content with but wants to call the cops on me. Also with this presidential campaign so much name calling and acting injured by words and names I just want to know the law.

Last edited by a moderator:

quincy

Same question I've called my ex names that he has earned, and seems content with but wants to call the cops on me. Also with this presidential campaign so much name calling and acting injured by words and names I just want to know the law.
What is the name of your state, shannons62472?

Name-calling generally is not illegal although, as the presidential campaign shows, it is not pleasant to hear people insult each other.

Those who must resort to name-calling are generally not very bright and are often looked on less favorably than those who are called the nasty names. It reflects poorly on both their intelligence and their character.

At times, however, insults are not so innocent and can be used to support both criminal and civil actions.

When the insults incite others to violence or when the insults are defamatory (when the words tossed cross from opinion into false statements of fact about an identified or identifiable individual or small group of people) harm can result.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">