• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an adult be charged with crimes committed as a minor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Aluus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Mexico

Okay, here's the situation. A friend recently told me her husband has an outstanding warrant out for his arrest in New Mexico. He shoplifted over $2500 of merchandise from Wal-Mart when he was age 16. It was less than $20,000 so it would be considered a class 3 felony i believe. However, no charges were filed against him until after he turned 18, so he was charged as an adult. By this time however, he was already living out of state. He has since then not returned to New Mexico.

I dunno. I keep advising her they should contact an attorney. The man hasn't seen is family in over 10 years.

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Mexico

Okay, here's the situation. A friend recently told me her husband has an outstanding warrant out for his arrest in New Mexico. He shoplifted over $2500 of merchandise from Wal-Mart when he was age 16. It was less than $20,000 so it would be considered a class 3 felony i believe. However, no charges were filed against him until after he turned 18, so he was charged as an adult. By this time however, he was already living out of state. He has since then not returned to New Mexico.

I dunno. I keep advising her they should contact an attorney. The man hasn't seen is family in over 10 years.
Warrants do not have an expiration date.

Aluus

Okay. But did they do anything wrong by waiting until he was no longer a minor to charge him?

swalsh411

He needs to deal with this or let it dog him his whole lot. The minor/adult thing is something that will need to be resolved in court. It is not a good reason to ignore a felony warrant.

Google "Michael Skakel".
That's not a very good example because there is no SoL on murder.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">