+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Aluus is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2

    Can an adult be charged with crimes committed as a minor?

    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Mexico

    Okay, here's the situation. A friend recently told me her husband has an outstanding warrant out for his arrest in New Mexico. He shoplifted over $2500 of merchandise from Wal-Mart when he was age 16. It was less than $20,000 so it would be considered a class 3 felony i believe. However, no charges were filed against him until after he turned 18, so he was charged as an adult. By this time however, he was already living out of state. He has since then not returned to New Mexico.

    I dunno. I keep advising her they should contact an attorney. The man hasn't seen is family in over 10 years.
  2. #2
    Banned_Princess is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    New York. Long Island.
    Posts
    7,711
    Quote Originally Posted by Aluus View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Mexico

    Okay, here's the situation. A friend recently told me her husband has an outstanding warrant out for his arrest in New Mexico. He shoplifted over $2500 of merchandise from Wal-Mart when he was age 16. It was less than $20,000 so it would be considered a class 3 felony i believe. However, no charges were filed against him until after he turned 18, so he was charged as an adult. By this time however, he was already living out of state. He has since then not returned to New Mexico.

    I dunno. I keep advising her they should contact an attorney. The man hasn't seen is family in over 10 years.
    Warrants do not have an expiration date.
  3. #3
    Aluus is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2
    Okay. But did they do anything wrong by waiting until he was no longer a minor to charge him?
  4. #4
    davew128 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,997
    Quote Originally Posted by Aluus View Post
    Okay. But did they do anything wrong by waiting until he was no longer a minor to charge him?
    Google "Michael Skakel".
  5. #5
    swalsh411 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7,897
    He needs to deal with this or let it dog him his whole lot. The minor/adult thing is something that will need to be resolved in court. It is not a good reason to ignore a felony warrant.

    Quote Originally Posted by davew128 View Post
    Google "Michael Skakel".
    That's not a very good example because there is no SoL on murder.
  6. #6
    davew128 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    4,997
    Quote Originally Posted by swalsh411 View Post
    That's not a very good example because there is no SoL on murder.
    Not the point. The legal argument on appeal was whether he should have been charged as a juvenile.

Similar Threads

  1. Have any crimes been committed in this mortgage scenario?
    By WNR77 in forum Mortgages, Refinancing & Foreclosure
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-23-2008, 11:49 PM
  2. Government employee committed crimes while at work
    By beck47720 in forum Civil Litigation
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-25-2006, 11:00 AM
  3. VA Speeding, Charged as minor or adult?
    By Sixty7 in forum Speeding and Other Moving Violations
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-01-2004, 06:38 AM
  4. Being charged with a crime committed when a minor
    By cuddles in forum Sentencing / Parole / Pardons / Plea Bargains
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-02-2001, 11:27 AM
  5. Recourse for crimes committed abroad
    By Mav7200 in forum Other Crimes Federal and State
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-22-2001, 01:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.