• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the bank do this????

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

St0rmmm

What is the name of your state? Ca

My landlord's son approached me and asked if I could cash a check for his friend. He said he had lost his ID and had problems cashing it. I was skeptical so I called the co. that had drawn the check. They said the check was good. That it was not stolen or would be returned for any reason. I dropped the guy off at the DMV where he got a temp. drivers license and took him to my bank where they had us both sign and got his fingerprint. I then waited the 10 days for the check to clear and gave him his money. 28 days later my bank says the check came back due to forgery. Apparently the guy had "stolen his brother identity as well as his check" The bank now says I owe them the money. I did everything possible to protect myself. The bank released the money and then took it back a month later. Is that legal? Can the bank do that? The guy who stole the check is now in jail...so we know where he is, but they are not going to go after him...they say I need to do that to get my money back. Is that the law? "When can you feel comfortable that the money is in the bank?"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">