• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a California EX Felon own a bow or crossbow for hunting?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Carillo

Can a California Felon (EX parolee) own a bow or crossbow for hunting?

Can a felon (ex) in California own a crossbow or compound bow for hunting or sport?

Two felony convictions - possession of marijuana (2001) and receiving a stolen vehicle (2003).

Sentence was completed and discharged from parole (early) over 5 years ago.

I was a stupid kid in my teens and early twenties, made some poor choices and had to pay the price. The good side - I straightened out before it became a lifestyle, prison scared the heck out of me and I never ever want to go back.

I realize that owning a firearm is out of the question, but I'd like to know if any form of a bow is legal, or at least who I should ask if it's legal, I have not had contact with parole for over 5 years and am not under any kind of supervision.

thank you.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

You mean you were dealing marijuana. There are no felony simple possessions. You're not an ex-felon, just a felon.

As far as California and Federal law goes, crossbows are not firearms as referred to in the laws that prohibit felons from having them.
Crossbows (except for the handicapped) are only allowed in gun season.

Last edited:

Carillo

Thank you Ron.

I appreciate your information, and the answer is what I was hoping for. It's not that I don't trust your answer, but it would be ignorant of me to go on information from a forum alone. I want to verify your answer with someone locally as well.
In my searching it seems the law regarding this is not well known. Do you have a suggestion as to whom I'd ask to double check? Local Sheriff Dept.? Local Attorney? Would you suggest getting an answer in writing?

You may be correct on the "dealing". I could have sworn my attorney suggested I plead to felony possession and the intent to distribute would be dropped, but it was 10 years ago, I'm probably wrong. I think it's irrelevant to my question though. You're correct on the ex felon, I'm a felon and an ex parolee.

CdwJava

Can a felon (ex) in California own a crossbow or compound bow for hunting or sport?
If discharged off of parole and not on probation with conditions that might prohibit such possession, yes, he can possess a bow or crossbow for hunting and sport.

xylene

Cross bow

Probaly a good idea not to possess it in your vehicle trunk at night in an urban area, at least as little as possible.

Keep it home and locked when not hunting.

That isn't a law, it is just dam practical.

You have two collars.

Being looked over is not that fun.

Carillo

Thank you, follow up question

Thank you all for your responses. I don't intend to carry except to and from activities and would have either out of my immediate control when transporting.

I'd still like to know if I should get an answer in writing. It's not worth the risk of getting in trouble unless I know with absolute certainty that it's legal in my county, and for me personally. Any thoughts, would asking the sheriff dept. for a signed "note" be out of line?

CSO286

Thank you all for your responses. I don't intend to carry except to and from activities and would have either out of my immediate control when transporting.

I'd still like to know if I should get an answer in writing. It's not worth the risk of getting in trouble unless I know with absolute certainty that it's legal in my county, and for me personally. Any thoughts, would asking the sheriff dept. for a signed "note" be out of line?
I doubt you'll get one.

xylene

Any thoughts, would asking the sheriff dept. for a signed "note" be out of line?
Yes. Way on the other side.

That would be way out of line and asking for scrutiny all the time.

If you need 'paper' hire a lawyer to write up a summary of the law on letterhead and carry it with your hunting weapon.

Honestly unless the Sheriff is like, your personal friend from high school or uncle or something, asking for that letter is gonna come across as pretty ahh.... :cool: ... shady.

CdwJava

Why would they give you a note permitting you to engage in lawful activity?

Using the bow or crossbow inside of some municipalities might be unlawful, however. But, if you are taking it to an archery range or lawfully engaging in hunting activities, then there should be no problems.

Carillo

Why would they give you a note permitting you to engage in lawful activity?

Using the bow or crossbow inside of some municipalities might be unlawful, however. But, if you are taking it to an archery range or lawfully engaging in hunting activities, then there should be no problems.

Thank you.

I had not thought of it that way, when you put it like that, it's only logical. I wouldn't ask for a note to cross the street in the cross walk, yet i could get in trouble for crossing out of the "walk". I don't mind scrutiny though, I have nothing to hide.

I hope you can understand my hesitation. I don't want to break the law, but also I don't want to exile myself from lawful activities to error on the side of caution. I just want to be certain that I'm not breaking the law, and I'd really like to be able to show that I'm not breaking the law, on site, rather than in a court. I think I'm going to hire an attorney to verify the legality of bow style hunting devices for me personally. Who knows, maybe there is some local code that prevents convicted felons from "such and such". I like your idea xylene, I think spending a couple hundred dollars to be sure is worth it. Conversely, risking years of my life for a hobby, is not.

I absolutely would have any weapon locked up and out of the reach of my children.

Thank you again for your input folks. I think this is an awesome site, it's going in the bookmarks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">