• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can charges be pressed for this???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ThePrep95

Here is what happened:

A friend of mine and his roomate got into an arguement. My friend slammed his hand on the table to told him to "LET IT GO!", but my friends roomate kept yelling and screaming at him from his room. I got up and went in his room and said "just drop it man, let it go!" and he shoved me. I shoved him back and we had what I can best describe as an offensive lineman and a defensive tackle blocking each other in a football game, about a 10 second small pushing contest with each of us grabbing the others arms. THAT WAS IT. I walked out and he yelled he was calling the cops and pressing charges. I told him hes an idiot and nothing happened but if he was pressing charges so would i since he pushed me first. The cops came and he told them he wasnt hurt and had no marks but wanted to press charges. They told him "its pretty much your word against his" since the only witness was my friend and that they wernt sure the state attorny would even take the case.

So should I press charges? or wait? It was very small and dumb but hes a rich kid and called his lawyer and everything. Should I be worried? What can he do? What should I do?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

CdwJava

You probably had your chance to "press charges" when the officers came. However, your statement should still be on record that he hit you first.

In my state, chances are this wouldn't even get touched by the DA. If it did, then you and the other guy would get called in to court and each of you would have to tell a judge all about this juvenile act.

If there is nothing missing from your tale, this is a big whopping nothing here.

However, if you DO get called to court, consult an attorney or request a public defender at your arraignment if you cannot otherwise afford one.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">