• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a convicted felon travel to different countries?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

funkychick104

I was in a deep depression after two years of family tragedies. I was not thinking clearly and after having ear surgery I got addicted to pain medication. I forged perscriptions and I got caught. I was charged with two felonies. I completed drug rehab, and got counseling. I was put on probation for two years which I have almost completed. I am very sorry for what I did. I need to know: 1. Can I travel to different countries (Australia for example) or do they prohibit convicted felons from obtaining visitors visa's? 2. How do I go about getting a felony removed from my record? PLEASE HELP! I AM DESPERATE. I can give you more details if needed for an accurate response.

------------------
Susan

A

Always searching

No, you won't be able to travel. That is the price you have to pay. Don't take my word for it. Check with your probation or parole officer even if you aren't on probation or parole now. I can't remember the form but I am sure you signed it when you were put into the parole system. Getting a felony removed is slim and none. Wish I had more favorable advice for you but you play, you pay.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Rent the movie, "Papillon" (Butterfly)starring Dustin Hoffman. Great flick about the French ** Penal System and jails, and the lives of the prisoners. You'll understand the title at the end of the movie.

IAAL

** Correction made.

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

[This message has been edited by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE (edited September 14, 2000).]

L

LadyLiberty

IAAL, just a note, Papillon was about a French penal colony located in South America. Also, most states have a way to expunge felony convictions from your record. In California, you can apply for a governor's pardon after a certain period of time with no new convictions. You might check with the embassy of the country you are thinking of visiting to find out if they would issue you a visa, I doubt all contries rules are the same. Hope this helps or at least gives you some encouragement.

------------------
Legalize Freedom

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LadyLiberty:
IAAL, just a note, Papillon was about a French penal colony located in South America. Also, most states have a way to expunge felony convictions from your record. In California, you can apply for a governor's pardon after a certain period of time with no new convictions. You might check with the embassy of the country you are thinking of visiting to find out if they would issue you a visa, I doubt all contries rules are the same. Hope this helps or at least gives you some encouragement.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi, are you saying it might be possible for me to visit Vietnam in 30 days, if I have a 4th or 5th class felony against me (illegal weapon)never went to prison, never had probation, only a $75 fine?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">