• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Daughters boyfriend be arrested?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

sami

My daughter, age 17, is dating a man of 31. We live in Louisiana. Her father lives in Mississippi. He is threatening to have him arrested. To the best of my knowledge they are not having sexual relations. Her dad has had legal custody of her for the last 5 years , however she has been livin with myself and her step- father here in louisiana for the last three years. Does her natural father have any legal grounds to stand on ? Any help would be appreciated.
Sami

[Edited by sami on 05-23-2001 at 04:38 PM]

C

candykiss06811

hey me too

hi.. i have the same question although i am the one that wants to know i am 17 and in conneticut.. and i am dateing a guy who is 29...almost 30.. and i am trying to find out if there is a law that says that he cannot be arrested for dateing me or haveing sexual relations with me..umm..as far as i know there is a web page called....www.age of consent.com on the internet if you go to there that could help you you just find out what the age of consent in the state where the father lives considering that he has custody of the daughter and if it is 16 then they are ok.. most states are 16 but some like new york are 17..but many are 16. anyway if you find anything out the email me back and let me know i would love to learn more information about this topic thank you .. Janet

A

acoalson

An adult can not legally have sex with a minor in any state unless they are married.

X

Xjudge

Probably not. Unless the 17 year old would be willing to testify against the older person, it would be highly unlikely that charges will be filed. Prosecution would need two items in order to form a case, a witness and physical evidence. The 17 year old would have to become a hostile witness and she does not have to become one. As long as the 17 year old and boyfriend are still a couple, she cannot be forced to testify against him. Most states place limits on who can be charged with statatory rape in the case of 16 and 17 year olds.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">