• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can a ex-felon buy a firearm?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cdkelley

What is the name of your state?California
A friend of mine is an ex-felon who has served his sentence,completed all the court ordered requirements,all charges were dropped to misdemeanors & also sealed, & has been off probation since April,2004.
He wants to know if he can purchase a firearm.

S

seniorjudge

"A friend of mine is an ex-felon who has served his sentence,completed all the court ordered requirements,all charges were dropped to misdemeanors & also sealed, & has been off probation since April,2004."

Please ask your "friend" how he can be an ex-felon if all the charges were reduced to misdemeanors.

CdwJava

cdkelley said:
What is the name of your state?California
A friend of mine is an ex-felon who has served his sentence,completed all the court ordered requirements,all charges were dropped to misdemeanors & also sealed, & has been off probation since April,2004.
He wants to know if he can purchase a firearm.
If his CORI file reveals that he has been convicted of any felony, he will NOT generally be eligible to purchase, own, or possess a firearm in the state of California.

If the charges were dropped to misdemeanors, then he would not be a convicted felon.

Oh ... Seniorjudge already said that ... well, it bears repeating.

He really should ask his attorney.

- Carl

cdkelley

CdwJava said:
If the charges were dropped to misdemeanors, then he would not be a convicted felon.

Oh ... Seniorjudge already said that ... well, it bears repeating.

- Carl
That's exactly the 1st question that I asked him when he had me ask this stupid question!The 2nd question was, if the police are the ones who confiscated his hunting rifles, then what makes him think that they're going to let him get anymore?

LOL But thank you for answering.
Have a good one,
Cathy :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">