• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can An Exboyfriend enter your home without permission to take back gifts given

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wonuluv2hate

What is the name of your state?California
My ex boyfriend entered my home and stole things that he had given to me while we were going out is this legal or can i report them as stolen?

rmet4nzkx

Yes you can report them stolen, you can also get a DV restraining order, a part of that will allow for return of those belongings, if he is trying to retrieve his belongings he can get them with a court order.

wonuluv2hate

What is he has the receipts for them?

California
I gave him all of his property back. I didnt want him to have any excuse to come back. He during the course of our relationship always entered my home without permission taking things that he said since he paid for them then they're his belongings even though he gave me these things as gifts. I really could care less about the material of all of it the point of it is I believe he should have a wake up call. He thinks he can do whatever he wants and get away with it. His record is spotless. He is a manipulative verbally abusive disturbed person,.
Also what if he made a copy of my house key without my knowledge and is using it to enter I honestly cant think of any other way he could get in my home. I have had to change my locks so many times i should take stock out in kwikset.

rmet4nzkx

Call the police and report the items stolen and then go to your county's superior court site and download the DV forms, or go to the courts tomorrow and file it there, they have people to help you with this. He will continue to do this if you don't do anything to stop him.

CdwJava

wonuluv2hate said:
What is the name of your state?California
My ex boyfriend entered my home and stole things that he had given to me while we were going out is this legal or can i report them as stolen?
Yes. Unless she is also living there, that's called burglary in CA ... or at the very least, theft.

Call the police and seek a restraining order.

- Carl

CdwJava

rmet4nzkx said:
Call the police and report the items stolen and then go to your county's superior court site and download the DV forms, or go to the courts tomorrow and file it there, they have people to help you with this. He will continue to do this if you don't do anything to stop him.
To add to Rmet's advice, since this a previous dating relationship, the TRO should be without cost to you. However, if you obtain a TRO it is incumbent upon you to maintain NO CONTACT with said yutz, and make sure that you call whenever it is violated.

Being able to charge him with the theft of the items in question might be tricky unless you can prove he entered your home and took them. if he denies it, and there are no witnesses, there may be little or nothing you can do to prosecute the theft ... though you can always take him to small claims court for the items.

But, get the TRO first.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">