• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can extortion be legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MDSMSIb

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I have figured out a way to defeat a security device used in most government buildings around the world with a very small device and no special skill or knowledge. Would it be legal to contact the manufacturer and tell them that I intend to develop a website and make videos on how to defeat their device unless they pay me maybe 100 grand or something like that? Freedom of speech is certainly legal, and I could definitely make the website and videos, but I'm not sure how the extortion laws work with regard to contacting the manufacturer for money to shut up about it.

swalsh411

You've got to be kidding me.

Apparently you have never heard of the DMCA.

You will end up in prison if you proceed with your plan.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I have figured out a way to defeat a security device used in most government buildings around the world with a very small device and no special skill or knowledge. Would it be legal to contact the manufacturer and tell them that I intend to develop a website and make videos on how to defeat their device unless they pay me maybe 100 grand or something like that? Freedom of speech is certainly legal, and I could definitely make the website and videos, but I'm not sure how the extortion laws work with regard to contacting the manufacturer for money to shut up about it.
Oh Einstein...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Please....PLEASE tell me this is a troll.

Even if it isn't, tell me anyway that it is. I don't want to believe that people who would seriously ask this kind of question really exist. Be kind - allow me to continue in my delusion.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Please....PLEASE tell me this is a troll.

Even if it isn't, tell me anyway that it is. I don't want to believe that people who would seriously ask this kind of question really exist. Be kind - allow me to continue in my delusion.
They do - but usually they are kings or princes from Nigeria...

MDSMSIb

You've got to be kidding me.

Apparently you have never heard of the DMCA.

You will end up in prison if you proceed with your plan.
If it's illegal for me to profit from finding the flaw in the system, it surely isn't illegal for me to tell people about it for profit. That seems like freedom of speech, to me. There's more than one angle to look it this. I fully intend to find some legal way to profit from this.

By the way, I read about the DCMA a bit just now, and I'm not really sure how it even applies. Isn't that for DVD's and computers and such? Doesn't seem to apply to my situation, but I may be wrong.

Nope, I'm not a troll, but I have a genuine question. I suppose it may be best for me to seek local counsel on this.

swalsh411

The only angle you will be looking at things from is behind the bars of a prison cell if you proceed with your brillant money making plan.

MDSMSIb

The only angle you will be looking at things from is behind the bars of a prison cell if you proceed with your brillant money making plan.
Fair enough, but surely there's a legal way to profit from this. I guess I'm asking for help with that.

Mass_Shyster

Why not make these devices and sell them on ebay? That's one way to make a profit.

Or you can offer to sell the idea to the maker's competitor.

Or you can show the device to the maker and ask for a job.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">