• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can a felon own a crossbow?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cyberchef

undefinedWhat is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? California

S

SignorFrancesco

When you say felon, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. Are you saying that you were convicted of a felony some time ago, but that you have taken care of whatever penalties came with it? Or are you currently dealing with probation or parole?

If you are no longer on probation or parole, and there is no current court order concerning such things as possession of a weapon, even one used in hunting, then I'd say you're fine with owning a crossbow.

If you are currently on probation or parole I can say with about 99.99% confidence that you are not legally allowed to own, possess or have in your residence or vehicle, any weapons.

Does this help, or did I completely miss your situation?

CdwJava

Unless it is specifically prohibited by your parole conditions (no weapons, bows, crossbows, or any other condition that covers crossbows) it is not illegal to possess a crossbow if you are on parole.

If it is, it would certainly come as a surprise to me - and likely our local parole officer. Our local felons use bows to hunt with, and I presume that if they are permitted to hunt with bows then a crossbow is also okay.

- Carl

S

SignorFrancesco

Let me just say, that most parole or probation conditions have a "catch all" phrase. I've been at this 14 years, so I may have a tiny clue about what I'm talking about here. Trust me, there's a clause somewhere that covers such weapons, whether it's explicit or not.

CdwJava

There may be a catch all phrase somewhere ... I just haven't seen it in the conditions of California parolees. And if there is, I'd like to know it because I could have a field day right now with deer season being open. Since they can't use guns, they use bows.

- Carl

CdwJava

A check of the CDC site finds that possession of "weapons of any kind" can be a violation of parole - it even mentions crossbows.

However, someone simply convicted of a felony (i.e. not on parole) is not in violation for possessing a bow ... at least in CA. We have statutes preventing convicted felons from possessing firearms but not bows.

So, it would appear that there is a standard parole condition regarding "weapons" ... though I have not heard of it being regularly enforced. And it could be that it has been waived in some cases - I am not sure.

- Carl

S

SignorFrancesco

Often, most parole stipulations that have to do with crimes that have nothing to do with violence, and deal with first time offenders, will not use such a clause. The number of such cases (first time offender, non-violent crime, given parole) does not happen that often though.

Thus, most parolees will have that weapons clause attached to the conditions of their parole. It is correct though that you need only worry about the crossbow if you're on parole. People convicted of a felony, but not on parole, are only restricted from possessing or owning firearms.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">