• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can he file assault against me?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

devonkali

What is the name of your state? Arkansas

Ok...I posted about a month ago about a "friend" of mine that no longer acted like a friend and wanted to treat me like his grilfriend. Except, I'm married and he is 28 years older than me. I knida put up with his pleadings for more for a while...but they turned into anger towards me and resentment. Kept getting numerous phone calls and text messages from him, wanting to know where I was...and the usual jealous boyfriend stuff.

I had decided to end the friendship. This is when the harrassment excalated to the point that we got into a physical fight. I'm not really sure how it happened. When that was over...we agreed to give each other space. After a week...the harassment continued and excalated even more. Now he was waiting in parking lots nearby where I drove home. Finally...he showed up at my place of employment and caused a scene. My employerer urged me to file harrassment charges...and so I did.

It's been about a month since those charges were filed. He kept trying to contact me for a week or two after that...then stopped. Just today, I received this email from him:

"Well, I got your little suprise in the mail today. I really am shocked that you would really want me arrested. I had just about written you off as a bad experience. If you want to go through with this I will have to start protecting myself. I'm going to Paragould tommorrow to the police station to be arrrested. Then I will have no choice but to have you arrested on assault charges. Then we will all go to court and make everything that has ever happened between us public. If you've done this, there is no telling what you have said about me to other people. I will be my responsiblity to set the record straight. If you want all this mess to stop, I recommend you get those charges dropped."

Okay...so I was stupid and young and got involved with him three years ago. For some reason he thinks this justifies him as being innocent. He also thinks that no one else knows what happened. He's wrong.

I am now 22 and he is 50.

My question is...can he really have me arrested? Wouldn't it look kind of suspicious to wait a whole month and a half before filing those charges? Especially since I filed my charges first?

What would this look like to a judge? Should I drop the charges?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

devonkali said:
What is the name of your state? Arkansas

Ok...I posted about a month ago about a "friend" of mine that no longer acted like a friend and wanted to treat me like his grilfriend. Except, I'm married and he is 28 years older than me. I knida put up with his pleadings for more for a while...but they turned into anger towards me and resentment. Kept getting numerous phone calls and text messages from him, wanting to know where I was...and the usual jealous boyfriend stuff.

I had decided to end the friendship. This is when the harrassment excalated to the point that we got into a physical fight. I'm not really sure how it happened. When that was over...we agreed to give each other space. After a week...the harassment continued and excalated even more. Now he was waiting in parking lots nearby where I drove home. Finally...he showed up at my place of employment and caused a scene. My employerer urged me to file harrassment charges...and so I did.

It's been about a month since those charges were filed. He kept trying to contact me for a week or two after that...then stopped. Just today, I received this email from him:

"Well, I got your little suprise in the mail today. I really am shocked that you would really want me arrested. I had just about written you off as a bad experience. If you want to go through with this I will have to start protecting myself. I'm going to Paragould tommorrow to the police station to be arrrested. Then I will have no choice but to have you arrested on assault charges. Then we will all go to court and make everything that has ever happened between us public. If you've done this, there is no telling what you have said about me to other people. I will be my responsiblity to set the record straight. If you want all this mess to stop, I recommend you get those charges dropped."

Okay...so I was stupid and young and got involved with him three years ago. For some reason he thinks this justifies him as being innocent. He also thinks that no one else knows what happened. He's wrong.

I am now 22 and he is 50.

My question is...can he really have me arrested? Wouldn't it look kind of suspicious to wait a whole month and a half before filing those charges? Especially since I filed my charges first?

What would this look like to a judge? Should I drop the charges?

My response:

Okay, so you're an Arkansas cockteaser. Ever had squirrel stew?

IAAL

Whatever you do, do not drop your charges against him.

He is just trying to scare you, even assuming that someone believes him that you did assault him, chances are slim that a prosecutor would actually try to prosecute you.

In the unlikely event that they do decide to go ahead and prosecute you claim self defense, and do not plead guilty or no contest, request a trial by jury and just state you case there.

The fact that he is a 50 year old dude trying to get involved with a 20 year old would probably be enough to sway some jurors minds that he aint right.

Also a firearm might be a good investment, and get good with it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">