• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be found guilty??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jwl1962

Alabama municipal Court.
I test drive a car and told the salesman my friend was going to have to return it because I had an emergency situation. The car was returned damaged (supposedly a blowout but who knows). I have trial for this since I pleaded not guilty. I had no intent, I didn't even damage it. Can they find me guilty of this crime? And can they use past records in determining my case?

Jwl1962

Note

Alabama municipal Court.
I test drive a car and told the salesman my friend was going to have to return it because I had an emergency situation. The car was returned damaged (supposedly a blowout but who knows). I have trial for this since I pleaded not guilty. I had no intent, I didn't even damage it. Can they find me guilty of this crime? And can they use past records in determining my case?
By the way the charge is criminal mischief 2nd degree

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Of course you can be found guilty. You can also be found not-guilty.

I would suggest that you ask your attorney any further questions.

Jwl1962

The law states that to be guilty of criminal mischief you have to have "intent to cause damage without the right to do so"... If I personally did not damage it and they have no proof other than the fact I left with the car, then I don't see where I'm guilty of " intent to damage".

Jwl1962

Stephan

I was appointed a pro Bono because I could not afford retaining a criminal lawyer, but I don't trust "court appointed" attorneys very much in handling a possible jail sentence due to the fact that around here they won't even talk to you outside of court. I have tried contacting several times, still no much as a call back. I am just seeking some insight as to whether I should be good to go or expect punishment I don't feel I deserve. Thanks for the replies btw

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I was appointed a pro Bono because I could not afford retaining a criminal lawyer, but I don't trust "court appointed" attorneys very much in handling a possible jail sentence due to the fact that around here they won't even talk to you outside of court.

Oh well. I guess you're stuck then.

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I was appointed a pro Bono because I could not afford retaining a criminal lawyer, but I don't trust "court appointed" attorneys very much in handling a possible jail sentence due to the fact that around here they won't even talk to you outside of court. I have tried contacting several times, still no much as a call back. I am just seeking some insight as to whether I should be good to go or expect punishment I don't feel I deserve. Thanks for the replies btw

You've probably just alienated yourself from the few attorneys who post here.

Your post is insulting, and ignorant.

Eekamouse

The car was damaged while you were test driving it. You were too cowardly to drive it back yourself. You don't think you deserve any punishment for destroying property that did not belong to you and you've tried to run from? Guess again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">