• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I get a Order of Protection? and do I have to meet with that person to get one?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kaishinovus

I live in Columbia South Carolina and I am seeking to file a restraining order against a person that is harassing me and causing me much distress.

Since the 23 of February a person in my life has been sending me many Abusive messages over online social networks, they are also spreading lies and just generally being abusive. I have asked them to stop talking to me repeatedly to no avail, I have gone as far as blocking this person on all social media sites that I am on. However she continues to try and say things like "hope you kill yourself you worthless piece of ****" and "Please....put a gun to your head" and "Because.....atm you have active hatred**************and I am gunning for you" This stuff is really hurting not only me but my family as well... Do I have grounds to get a restraining order, and if so do I have to meet with this person with a judge to get one?

Silverplum

I live in Columbia South Carolina and I am seeking to file a restraining order against a person that is harassing me and causing me much distress.

Since the 23 of February a person in my life has been sending me many Abusive messages over online social networks, they are also spreading lies and just generally being abusive. I have asked them to stop talking to me repeatedly to no avail, I have gone as far as blocking this person on all social media sites that I am on. However she continues to try and say things like "hope you kill yourself you worthless piece of ****" and "Please....put a gun to your head" and "Because.....atm you have active hatred**************and I am gunning for you" This stuff is really hurting not only me but my family as well... Do I have grounds to get a restraining order, and if so do I have to meet with this person with a judge to get one?
http://www3.charlestoncounty.org/docs/CoC/rorders.html -- a good explanation

http://www.richlandonline.com/Government/Courts/Magistrates/MagistratesCourtForms.aspx -- for your county.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Silverplum gave you the information on Orders of Protection...

But I need to point out that if you were truly ignoring this person, you wouldn't know that they were still posting things, at least not with the specificity you have.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">