• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I go to jail for bouncing 4 checks?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

everayne

I was summoned to court for a bounced ck in Maryland, under $20, written two months ago. I understand that if the court finds that I habitually write bad checks, they can send me to jail. I have three other bounced checks in the past two years, that together do not equal $100. If I get these paid before court, can they sentence me??.. What are my chances of getting the maximum??

L

lawrat

First, you need to worry about your finances and then worry about the criminal fines. Get an accountant. : - )

As to your concerns about what will happen to you, go to the following link and search under the keyword check. Read each section listed under crimes and punishments:
http://mgasearch.state.md.us/search97cgi/s97is.dll

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">