• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I leave the country for travel?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

blahblah

What is the name of your state? Ontario, Canada

Earlier this year I was arrested & charged with a non-serious criminal offence in Ontario. I had been planning to go to Greece this Summer for a vacation and visit some friends. In my recognizance it does not mention anything about not leaving the country and a lawyer has informed me that unless it says otherwise I should be okay.

My question is though that when I go through Immigration (in Canada and Greece) when they punch in my passport will they see that I've been arrested on pending charges? And if so, can I expect any hassles?
Will they take me aside and ask for my recognizance (bail) form outlining the terms of my release? Since I am going with some friends & one family member I would like to avoid the embarassment if possible even thought they are all aware of my circumstances. Also I
would like to be prepared for all possible eventualities - like Greece immigration turning me away when we arrive! Should I bring my recognizance (bail) sheet with me, etc. and can they ask to see it?

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

blahblah said:
What is the name of your state? Ontario, Canada

Earlier this year I was arrested & charged with a non-serious criminal offence in Ontario. I had been planning to go to Greece this Summer for a vacation and visit some friends. In my recognizance it does not mention anything about not leaving the country and a lawyer has informed me that unless it says otherwise I should be okay.

My question is though that when I go through Immigration (in Canada and Greece) when they punch in my passport will they see that I've been arrested on pending charges? And if so, can I expect any hassles?
Will they take me aside and ask for my recognizance (bail) form outlining the terms of my release? Since I am going with some friends & one family member I would like to avoid the embarassment if possible even thought they are all aware of my circumstances. Also I
would like to be prepared for all possible eventualities - like Greece immigration turning me away when we arrive! Should I bring my recognizance (bail) sheet with me, etc. and can they ask to see it?

Any help and advice would be appreciated.

My response:

No help because Ontario is not a "State", and you obviously ignored the instructions in RED words.

IAAL

B

blahblah

>>No help because Ontario is not a "State", and you obviously ignored the instructions in RED words<<

I did in fact follow the instructions on the posting page (copy of the, ahem, RED words are as follows):

>>To receive the most complete legal information to your question,
YOU MUST INCLUDE THE STATE NAME
Be Brief - To The Point - Type In Lower Case Letters.
Please help us help you!<<

Of course you were referring to the "other" RED words on the main forum page with state US legal questions only ...

In which case with all the clutter on the page I just didn't see it - and yes you are technically correct in that Ontario is not a state, it's a province.

I humbly and sincerely apologize for my ignorance and wasting your valuable time. I will now leave this forum much wiser for the experience. :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">