• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i press criminal charges for theft?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dopped dog

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?utah in july I hired a cement contractor to pour a driveway and patio and gave him a $800 deposit. he came out and graded the driveway and patio then asked my wife for $3600 to pay for the cement. he came out the next day and poured the patio and was to come back after july 4th and pour the driveway. after 8 promises he still has not poured the driveway.
after i found out he was not a licensed contractor i filed a small claims suite for $2800 and turned him in to the dopl ( department of profesinal licensing) he told them that he is licensed through a construction company but my contract sasys nothing of this company.
how can i get my money back and can i have this guy aressted for theft
or does anybody have any other ideas utah? and can i press criminal charges for theft?

JETX

after i found out he was not a licensed contractor i filed a small claims suite for $2800 and turned him in to the dopl ( department of profesinal licensing) he told them that he is licensed through a construction company but my contract sasys nothing of this company.
how can i get my money back
You get your money 'back' by doing what you have already done... that is to file a lawsuit. If the court agrees with your claim, you will get a judgment against the person.... (hopefully you filed your suit against the right party!!).

and can i have this guy aressted for theft
or does anybody have any other ideas?
and can i press criminal charges for theft?
You can certainly contact your local prosecutor about possible fraud charges, but it is very unlikely that they will file charges against the contractor. For that to happen, you will need to have LOTS of victims claiming the same thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">