• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I still be charged?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thnks4urhelp

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Ok. This is complicated- I hope one of you can shed some light and try to help me untangle this mess. Thanks in advance.

Ok. so my tenant is on welfare, and welfare used to pay the rent. That is, until she was able to concoct a scheme to get SSI. Initially, I signed a landlord statement, but their is no formal lease agreement. I have had this woman living with me for about fifteen years, and she has worked 10 hours total- for the whole fifteen years, although she is young and healthy. Basically, she just collects money from the government agencies- SSI, DSS, various cons, and unsuspecting people.

So about two years ago I did not have enough money to pay for the oil. She stated that she would get HEAP to cover the cost- at this time she was no longer on welfare, but was collecting SSI, so she was elgible for oil benefits.

This is where it gets complicated.

Initially she told the DSS that I did not live in the residence (not true), but I stupidly signed the landlord statement to that effect because I did not have enough money to pay for the cost of oil, and they wouldn't cover the oil if I lived at the residence.
I know-not good..

DSS finally caught on and tenant was notified that her benefits were taken away (food stamps = $6,000 & her children's medicaid benefits-so she says I never saw any paperwork), and restitution must be made- the total amount of $$ was about $12,000- "she says" received for oil + fines.---
With the $$ I gave her (All cash- No paperwork) she told me that the matter was settled, but has continued to use the loss of her benefits as a way to extort $$ from me these past couple of years. This has been an ongoing process, I thought it was coming to an end.
but...
Just recently the tenant told me that CPS was coming to take her children away because they had no health insurance-(because the welfare had taken away her medicaid leaving her children with no health insurance. This is, she says, because she had taken the HEAP benefits, and the judge has a personal vendetta for me and wants to "get my ass".

Currently, the tenant ( who receives 3 SSI checks in total- her and 2 children residing with her) has stated that the judge has taken away two of her SSI checks, but has promised to reinstate her medicaid, and make all the charges disappear, if she will just "sign the paper, and send me to federal prison"

I did sign the initial landlord statement and whatever paperwork she provided so that the oil would be covered. But if I was never subpeonad or notified or anything- legally, what is my actual responsibility? She will not show me any paperwork, and I don't really know what is happening with the court proceedings, or how to find out. I am scared to delve too deeply & raise any red flags because I work for the state and I'm very close (1.5 years) to retirement.

These past couple of years the "tenant" has been receiving/extorting $ from me for various things related to the initial incident. Such as: $$ for lawyer- $1700., $1500. restitution, I deducted $130 from the rent every month to pay back the $$ that was taken from her when DSS penalized her food stamps etc... Total so far is: approx. $10,000.00. +

Now she has decided that she won't pay any rent because " her checks were taken" and says if I push it she will "sign the paper".

I just want her out. I want this to be over!She has moved 4 extra people into my house, won't pay rent, and says that she has to get "special permission" from the judge to move out. She also says as soon as she's out, the judge "is coming right for me".

Jeez! She makes it sound like she has a special relationship with the judge, and she's doing me a favor by holding him at bay, and taking the fall.

P.S- Like I said; during this whole time I have never subpeonad and never received any paper work regarding this matter at all. I know what we did was bad, and I realize the folly of may actions, but this has got to stop. I don't even know if she is telling the truth about anything, or even how to find out. For all I know she could be leaving the house to go "to court", and be spending the day at McDonalds..

She is extorting money from me under the premise that she could "sign the paper" at any time, sending me to jail because the judge is "out to get me".
I just don't know what to do, she said that all the $$ has been paid back.
From internet research I've conducted it looks like most people who have been involved with "w****** fr**d" don't usually do jailtime- mostly restitution & fines.

My questions:
What is my actual responsibility, if any?
Can I do jail time?
How do I find out if she is lying?
If she is, what can I do?

Thank you very,very much for your replies.
I really appreciate all professional advice on this complicated matter.
Thanks again!

Last edited:

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Ok. This is complicated- I hope one of you can shed some light and try to help me untangle this mess. Thanks in advance.

Ok. so my tenant is on welfare, and welfare used to pay the rent. That is, until she was able to concoct a scheme to get SSI. Initially, I signed a landlord statement, but their is no formal lease agreement. I have had this woman living with me for about fifteen years, and she has worked 10 hours total- for the whole fifteen years, although she is young and healthy. Basically, she just collects money from the government agencies- SSI, DSS, various cons, and unsuspecting people.

So about two years ago I did not have enough money to pay for the oil. She stated that she would get HEAP to cover the cost- at this time she was no longer on welfare, but was collecting SSI, so she was elgible for oil benefits.

This is where it gets complicated.

Initially she told the DSS that I did not live in the residence (not true), but I stupidly signed the landlord statement to that effect because I did not have enough money to pay for the cost of oil, and they wouldn't cover the oil if I lived at the residence.
I know-not good..

DSS finally caught on and tenant was notified that her benefits were taken away (food stamps = $6,000 & her children's medicaid benefits-so she says I never saw any paperwork), and restitution must be made- the total amount of $$ was about $12,000- "she says" received for oil + fines.---
With the $$ I gave her (All cash- No paperwork) she told me that the matter was settled, but has continued to use the loss of her benefits as a way to extort $$ from me these past couple of years. This has been an ongoing process, I thought it was coming to an end.
but...
Just recently the tenant told me that CPS was coming to take her children away because they had no health insurance-(because the welfare had taken away her medicaid leaving her children with no health insurance. This is, she says, because she had taken the HEAP benefits, and the judge has a personal vendetta for me and wants to "get my ass".

Currently, the tenant ( who receives 3 SSI checks in total- her and 2 children residing with her) has stated that the judge has taken away two of her SSI checks, but has promised to reinstate her medicaid, and make all the charges disappear, if she will just "sign the paper, and send me to federal prison"

I did sign the initial landlord statement and whatever paperwork she provided so that the oil would be covered. But if I was never subpeonad or notified or anything- legally, what is my actual responsibility? She will not show me any paperwork, and I don't really know what is happening with the court proceedings, or how to find out. I am scared to delve too deeply & raise any red flags because I work for the state and I'm very close (1.5 years) to retirement.

These past couple of years the "tenant" has been receiving/extorting $ from me for various things related to the initial incident. Such as: $$ for lawyer- $1700., $1500. restitution, I deducted $130 from the rent every month to pay back the $$ that was taken from her when DSS penalized her food stamps etc... Total so far is: approx. $10,000.00. +

Now she has decided that she won't pay any rent because " her checks were taken" and says if I push it she will "sign the paper".

I just want her out. I want this to be over!She has moved 4 extra people into my house, won't pay rent, and says that she has to get "special permission" from the judge to move out. She also says as soon as she's out, the judge "is coming right for me".

Jeez! She makes it sound like she has a special relationship with the judge, and she's doing me a favor by holding him at bay, and taking the fall.

P.S- Like I said; during this whole time I have never subpeonad and never received any paper work regarding this matter at all. I know what we did was bad, and I realize the folly of may actions, but this has got to stop. I don't even know if she is telling the truth about anything, or even how to find out. For all I know she could be leaving the house to go "to court", and be spending the day at McDonalds..

She is extorting money from me under the premise that she could "sign the paper" at any time, sending me to jail because the judge is "out to get me".
I just don't know what to do, she said that all the $$ has been paid back.
From internet research I've conducted it looks like most people who have been involved with "w****** fr**d" don't usually do jailtime- mostly restitution & fines.

My questions:
What is my actual responsibility, if any?
Can I do jail time?
How do I find out if she is lying?
If she is, what can I do?

Thank you very,very much for your replies.
I really appreciate all professional advice on this complicated matter.
Thanks again!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
**A: too many questions, so little time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">