• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue for Emotional distress?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LPrentice

What is the name of your state? Florida

I met a man online through internet personals and we corresponded for a year, but never met.

We had a great friendship up until recently...I mailed him a birthday present. He never told me he had a live-in girlfriend, so needless to say he sent the package back...unfortunately when I questioned him on this words were exchanged....name calling.

Next thing I know I am getting hateful, nasty and derrogatory email from both him and his girlfriend. I have asked him to stop, but he continues. This is causing an undue amount of stress on me and my son. I already suffer from depression and this does not help at all.

I will admit, I did call him a sicko wife beater...however, nothing that can't already be found in Public Records...he was arrested repeatedly for spousal abuse and domestic violance. He claims he wants to sue for defamation of character; but, A. his record is public knowledge and B. the only person I said anything to was him.

H

hmmbrdzz

Your subject is headed "can I sue", yet you sound concerned that he is going to sue. I wouldn't worry about him sueing, but I would be worried about making that same mistake again. Surely you can't be that down on your luck that you would open yourself to a dangerous person.

If the e-mails are threatening you physical injury, you should contact the police. Follow their advice. Save all letters received. Also, you can contact your ISP and advise them you're being harassed via e-mail. You can also set up another e-mail account.

I'm going to go ahead and say it (although you didn't ask).
I don't know how old your son is, but it would certainly be best if you didn't let him know about your internet romances (in my opinion) or the problems you've created on account of them. That's kind of "your thing" and should be "your problem" when things turn sour (ya know?)

Here are some good sites on harassment and stalking on-line.

Good luck.

http://www.surferbeware.com/internet-safety/internet-safety-faqs-cyberstalking.htm

http://www.cybersnitch.net/cybersnitch.htm

hmmbrdzz

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">