• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue for Identity Fraud or Breach of Privacy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Wxr457a

I was off again on again friends with a guy, and during an on period we used my Netflix account on his computer. A few weeks ago we stopped being friends again and he recently (after breakup with us going no contact) accessed my Netflix account (apparently I had not signed out) and changed my profile (viewing preferences, favorite genres, language display etc) without my permission. He says it was just a prank and that was all he did, and he signed off and won't be able to get back on. But can I sue him for accessing my information wtihout my permission (given that the account has some financial information on it)? Or can I sue him for identity theft or breaching my privacy or something? I mean he even admits to doing it. I greatly appreciate any help or advice.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Last edited:

Proserpina

I was off again on again friends with a guy, and during an on period we used my Netflix account on his computer. A few weeks ago we stopped being friends again and he recently (after breakup with us going no contact) accessed my Netflix account (apparently I had not signed out) and changed my profile (viewing preferences, favorite genres, language display etc) without my permission. He says it was just a prank and that was all he did, and he signed off and won't be able to get back on. But can I sue him for accessing my information wtihout my permission (given that the account has some financial information on it)? Or can I sue him for identity theft or breaching my privacy or something? I mean he even admits to doing it. I greatly appreciate any help or advice.
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Tell us how you've been damaged due to his continued use of the account.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
First: How would you intend to show that he didn't have continued permission to access the account?

Second: There is no way for him to access "financial information" - yes, your credit card is stored, but you can't view the entire number.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">