• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue for lying

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bfu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
I work at a sporting goods store. Got a call from a woman about a product, during the converstation I found that her name and that she worked in a particular field I 'm interested in getting into. I asked if I could do a follow up call and if she would be my contact. she would come in for the contact information. I gave her my hours for that day and the next two. That was on Mon. on the wed of that week I received a call from her. Apologizing that she can't be my contact and when I asked why she babbled on about how she doesn't give out her information and she used someone elses name and she doesn't work in that field. She went on that she felt bad and called because if I was interested she didn't want me hanging or trying to contact the person she gave her name to be. Then she gave another name trying to cover up the first name like I'm stupid. She said the reason why she knows so much is because someone close to her is in the field but would not be my contact she doesn't know me and won't vouche for me. She then gave me a few suggestions on places for me to go to obtain a contact or job. She also stated that even with this truth now out she won't be a contact for me because we started out wrong.
Well, at first I just hung up after a few days I'm angry. so being an assistant manager I got a print out of phone call numbers for those days, put the two together, heck she doesn't even live in this state. However, I did track down the person that she gave her name to be and found out the person who is close to her (same last name) works there.
I want to teach her a lesson for lying. But thought I would run this past all of you. I want to contact the person she gave her name to be and tell her that she used her name. Then go to the company head master and tell them the workers close personal relative lied about working there and gave out one of their employees name. Maybe get that employee in trouble. I want to then sue her for lying. Getting my hopes up. Have me spend time looking online at the websites she suggested to get into the occupation. Can I do this.? Do I have any legal grounds?

bfu

Regret? She lied and caused me anguish. I also want to say that I would like to see if my company keeps phone call recordings. They tell us they don't but I heard through the grapevine they do. I know when customers call in they don't get the recording that their calls are being recorded for training purposes etc. So if I get a hold of these two conversations proving her lie will that help me in my suit. Also, if they do record and find out I was looking for a contact for another job and get fired, now I have additional cause to go after her?

I'mTheFather

Your lack of common sense is causing me anguish. Alas, I cannot successfully sue you and you cannot successfully sue her.

It was your own darn fault that you inquired about other jobs while working.

CdwJava

What damages have you suffered? You will need to show a court that you suffered some actual harm, not that you feel let down.

Sorry, but you have no claim. But, if you really want to give an attorney a few thousand dollars to investigate the matter, I am sure you can find one who will accept your money.

bfu

okay, I got it can't sue. How about go tell the person she was claiming to be and see if she will go after her for taking her identity and slandering it.
Or the company she claimed to be with and see if they will go after her? I know I seem like a guy who has a major grudge against her, I don't even know her I talked with her about products for a co-worker and how do you get into that occupation for at most 10 minutes but I hate liars. She should of just hung up when I asked her for her contact information.
What can I do against her. She lives in another state so its not like I can tell people she's a liar unless I do, like contact a few people like the police or people at city hall and tell them what she did?

I'mTheFather

Seriously? Grow up. If you pursue this in any of the ways you're thinking, I can guarantee that you will never get into the field you're interested in. After all, she has connections. You do not. Anyone you contact will think you're nuts.

CdwJava

It sounds as if you have already spent more time dwelling on this person that she deserves. Let it go and move on. All you will might do is damage your own reputation - you gain nothing by trying to bring this other person down. This crusade can only harm you, it cannot benefit you.

Let it go ... move on.

cyjeff

Allow me to give you a little background here... I have been in and consulting to the retail sector for over 25 years. I have been a store/sales manager.

Your problems are as follows:

1) You are assuming your company has a detailed customer database for the sole purpose of your detective investigation. It does not. In fact, your use of the customer database for anything other than a sales related issue is a direct violation of your company's privacy policy. I suggest you review your company handbook before you do one more thing using information you found there.

2) You are assuming that a call from you to any of the people involved here means anything to them.

3) You are assuming your company feels comfortable with you looking for another job while on their clock and is comfortable with you using their database to further that job search. I assure you that it does not.

4) You want to enter a different field. I don't know what that new field is but most professional fields are a very small community of people that all know one another. Do you really want your first foray into this brave new world to be tattling on someone that didn't give you the hand up you wanted? How do you think that will start off your reputation in the industry? Do you really think the real person you are going to contact will think you a good employment candidate based upon your callous violation of that person's personal information with your present company?

5) If there is ANYTHING in that database that is credit card related, your use of it for anything other than business related purposes may, indeed, violate state and federal law. That's right, you could be fined and/or jailed.

You are acting like a petulant child. Since you didn't get what you wanted, you are going to upset the chessboard and make a huge mess. The only person your actions will reflect upon is you.

Oh, and you will undoubtedly be fired from your current employment for violating that private database. How do you think THAT will sound when you put them down for a reference check?

OHRoadwarrior

Wait until your company finds out you have been harassing their customers for job referrals. You won't be employed long. What is good for the goose is good for the gander.

bfu

acquir phone conversation

So what everyone here has basically told me to "move on".
One last question, if I don't move on and want to pursue this can I obtain the phone conversations. Now, I believe they don't indicate to the customer calling in that they are being recorded. There is no message stating this call is being recorded for training purposese etc. but that doesn't mean they aren't. In fact, I have heard through the grapevine they do record and listen if for anything, illegal transactions, employees personal calls etc. I can't get copies of these for my case?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Not without a court order, you can't - and to get a court order you're going to need a whole lot more proof than "I heard through the grapevine" that the recordings even exist. AND you'll have to come up with a more pertinent reason than 'I want to get someone in trouble' - even if you have the proof of the existence of the recordings - before a court will do more than bawl you out for wasting its time and toss you out of the courtroom.

cyjeff

You don't seem to be listening.

How do you propose to ask upper management for recordings of a conversation you held between yourself and a customer? Will you start the conversation with "after I scoured our database, I found that the person offering me another job wasn't the person she said she was. I then found the person that was actually the owner of the name used - again by using our customer database - and now want to craft a lawsuit using our information."

Companies are not usually willing to help stalkers better track their victims. Further, the chances that the company would want to be drawn into your little legal drama are zero. You see, after you sue and lose (and you will), the victim of your campaign will sue YOU for defamation... and the company that provided you with the information.

The LAST thing your company wants is for its customers to worry that every time information is given in the course of business that the company will then provide that information to anyone that wants it. I am pretty sure (call it 99.9%) that the company has language on its website promising that this type of data will NEVER be used in any way outside of business.

Besides, you have no case. If pretending to be more important than you are to a total stranger was a legally actionable event, there would be a million cases coming out of the singles bar in the NY area alone.

You are bordering on harassment and stalking. Losing your job would be the least of your worries.

dave33

So what everyone here has basically told me to "move on".
One last question, if I don't move on and want to pursue this can I obtain the phone conversations. Now, I believe they don't indicate to the customer calling in that they are being recorded. There is no message stating this call is being recorded for training purposese etc. but that doesn't mean they aren't. In fact, I have heard through the grapevine they do record and listen if for anything, illegal transactions, employees personal calls etc. I can't get copies of these for my case?
You cannot compel anything from anybody, you have no case. She committed no criminal violations and you suffered no loss. The bottom line is you have no criminal or civil recourse. That means the courts will not be involved.

You may be angry but you need to step back yake a breath and gey back to reality. You want to punish her for lying? If the courts got involved in all of these cases there would be such a backlog nothing would ever get accomplished.

Find a hobby.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">