• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Pizza Delivery Man enter house uninvited?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

artbuc

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? DE

This question relates to another thread about a dog bite.

When you order a pizza I assume you are giving consent for the pizza guy to come onto your property and knock on your door. However, I assume the pizza delivery person does NOT have permission to enter your house unless you specifically give it to him. For example, if I order a pizza, I expect the pizza person to knock on my front door. If, instead, he just walked right into my house to look for me, I would consider that trespassing. Delaware code says entering without permission is trespassing, but the question seems to be: When you order a pizza, are you implying consent to enter your house?
Thanks for your help.

artbuc

We don't deal in "hypotheticals".

What happened?
My nephew ordered a pizza for himself and his two children. Pizza guy knocked on the door and was told to wait while nephew got his money. Main door was open but screen door was closed. For some reason, pizza guy decided he wanted to come inside. He opened the screen door and started to walk inside. Before his second foot landed inside the threshold, nephew's dog went after pizza guy and bit him. Pizza guy ran out of the house with dog chasing him and daughter chasing dog. Dog was caught about 15 feet from front door still on my nephew's property. Pizza guy now wants my nephew to pay for medical costs. Under Delaware's dog bite law, nephew is liable unless pizza guy was commiting a trespass.

I started a second thread because I needed a specifc opinion regarding criminal trespass. Thanks.

cyjeff

Did your nephew report the trespass?

this pizza guy actually sounds a little creepy.

I have never known a pizza man to enter a home uninvited unless he was looking for something to steal.

I would fight this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">