• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the police do this and actually use this in court?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

O

OnlyOneVoice

What is the name of your state? TX

A friend's son was arrested for burlary of a building. (The boy is 14 and does have a prior conviction.)

My question is this. My friend had some neighbor's that she has never met come to her since her son's arrest and told her that the detective in charge of the case offered them $1000 to help pin the charge on her son. He asked them to try to get acquainted with my friend and attempt to search her garage and garage attic to find out what was stored there.

These neighbor's have nothing to gain by telling my friend this so she is inclined to believe them.

If they find anything is it admissable and can the detective be charged with misconduct regarding this investigation.

Also the "eye witnesses" stated that they saw 3 boys but could not identify them.

What recourse does my friend have??

Her son is involved and she knows he must suffer the consequences of his behavior but is this sherriff's detective acting within the scope of his legal ability?

Her son does have an attorney, I'm just curious as to what the opinions of any attorney's here might be.

Last edited:

G

GKris

The officer is acting within the scope of his duty. He is going to use crimestoppers money to pay them for whatever tip he gets that results in the conviction. Perfectly legal, he is basically recruiting a confidential informant and using a resource set in place to pay for information. There is nothing in the rules saying the tips must be non-recruited.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">