• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can the robber be sued?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bubba2357

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

My wife was robbed at gun point on 3/3/2006.
She now suffers from PTSD (post tramatic stress disorder)
She has lost her job because of this and has basically become a shut-in and had to be hospitalized 2 weeks ago for depression associated with the PTSD. She is still in the hospital.

She hasn't been able to work since the incident and the doctors say she may never be able to continue in her line of work.

The robber has been caught and confessed and is in prison right now.

My question: Can the robber be held legally responsable and forced to pay damages?

JETX

Bubba2357 said:
Can the robber be held legally responsable and forced to pay damages?
She can certainly file a civil suit, but it is very unlikely that she would recover anything.... especially from someone who is in prison. In fact, he might just enjoy the freedom of a few days in civil court.

Bubba2357

I realize the *explitive* probably has nothing to sue for and in all probability will enjoy getting out of their cell for a few hours but, It has been brought to my attention that this persons parents are fairly well off and would be due an inheritance.

I was just curious if we did happen to win in a civil case would we have a claim to this persons inheritance?

Bubba2357

Cute, You think of that new acronym all on your own, or did you have help?
I can only assume the latter.

I came in here looking for a little guidance because I thought thats what these forums were for, obviously I was wrong.

Another thing that is obvious is you seem to have no clue of the effects of PTSD.
Do a little research on PTSD and you will find that it can be a very dibilitating and life altering disorder. Some patients never fully recover.

This person hurt my wife to the point that she is basically a mental basket case (Constant crying, shaking, anxiety, panic attacks, depression, fear of going into public places) She can't even go grocery shopping or take a walk to the park and there is a good chance that she will never be able to return to her line of work, And I am trailer trash for wanting compensation? I fail to see your logic.

I am not trailer trash, I am pissed off! As I am sure you would be had it happened to a loved one of yours. Then again, considering the overwhelming amount of compassion you are showing me, I could be way off base on that too.

weenor

Bubba- the cause of action is intentional infliction of emotional distress. Of course restitution is also available through the criminal system, but you are unlikely to see that. I realize that Mississippi is the last place in the United States where obnoxiously large jury verdicts are still seen, but it truly will depend on the County you file in. Your best option is to go see an attorney for consultation on any civil suit.

Bubba2357

weenor said:
Bubba- the cause of action is intentional infliction of emotional distress. Of course restitution is also available through the criminal system, but you are unlikely to see that. I realize that Mississippi is the last place in the United States where obnoxiously large jury verdicts are still seen, but it truly will depend on the County you file in. Your best option is to go see an attorney for consultation on any civil suit.
Thank you!

Thats what I wanted to know,
I am not looking for an absurd sum, Just medical bills (in excess of 10K so far), lost wages etc...

Bubba2357

SleezeAtty said:
My response:

Screw you, pal. I don't give a damn about your wife.
Yet, another obvious point.

And as far as answering YOUR question of my motivation, I did.
Or dunt ya reed two goood? /sarcasm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">