• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can Shoplifters Get Charged After They're Allowed to Leave the Store

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Miltong

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I was caught shoplifting the other day and Im very scared as to what is going to happen next. Ive been very paranoid. It wasnt my first time shoplifting at this store but it was the first time I got caught. The police were not involved, even though the clerk said they were called (I think that was just a scare tactic...and it worked). The clerk did make a copy of my ID and made me state in writing that I will never set foot in their store again. Which I will gladly not do. It was a very stupid mistake and I have learned my lesson. I WILL never do it again. I do also know that the police cant come bust down my door and get me, I also did surrender the stolen property at the store. The clerk also didnt say anything about a civil demand. I also read that they have a year to charge me. The items that I got away with and were caught with were not more than $20 in value. I have a squeaky clean record. I really dont want my family to find out about this.

Here are my questions:

1)Can I get charged and arrested from the video surveillance footage?
2)Is it a lifetime ban?
3)Am I banned from the whole chain?

Again it was a really stupid mistake and I will never do it again. It was not worth it.

TigerD

No. The police will do that after watching the video.
2)Is it a lifetime ban?
Haven't seen it - but probably.
Haven't seen it - but probably.

Again it was a really stupid mistake and I will never do it again. It was not worth it.
Does that mean you are going to go on to more profitable methods of crime?

DC

Eekamouse

Why would you even ask if you're banned from the chain? Planning on disregarding the ban and plying your skills at a different location?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I was caught shoplifting the other day and Im very scared as to what is going to happen next. Ive been very paranoid. It wasnt my first time shoplifting at this store but it was the first time I got caught. The police were not involved, even though the clerk said they were called (I think that was just a scare tactic...and it worked). The clerk did make a copy of my ID and made me state in writing that I will never set foot in their store again. Which I will gladly not do. It was a very stupid mistake and I have learned my lesson. I WILL never do it again. I do also know that the police cant come bust down my door and get me, I also did surrender the stolen property at the store. The clerk also didnt say anything about a civil demand. I also read that they have a year to charge me. The items that I got away with and were caught with were not more than $20 in value. I have a squeaky clean record. I really dont want my family to find out about this.

Here are my questions:

2)Is it a lifetime ban?

Quit lying. It was NOT a mistake. It was a choice -- and a choice you have made before. Yes you can get charged and arrested and have a criminal record. Yes you are banned from the whole chain and it is a lifetime ban. If you go in, plan to be arrested and charged with criminal trespassing. You have a pattern -- according to you -- of being a thief. So don't chalk this up as a mistake. This was a choice -- and a choice you will most likely make again because you are a THIEF. Got it? I hope you do get arrested and charged.

dave33

Here are my questions:

2)Is it a lifetime ban?

1. Yes, the video plus your signed confession is more than enough fr the police to charge you.

2. Unlikely, I have never heard of a lifetime ban but I have no idea what the paper said.

3. Again, unlikely, but the paper you signed may have indicated otherwise.

Hopefully the police will not show up to charge you, it's still possible. I would think if they wanted to press charges they would have had the police come right away. That being said, if upon further review they realize you have stolen from them before, they may forward what they have to the police and see what happens.

You should expect a civil demand.

LdiJ

Here are my questions:

2)Is it a lifetime ban?

1) Yes they can charge you later, but as a matter of practice, if they did not involve the cops at the time then they don't plan to have you charged.

2) Yes, its a lifetime ban and a ban from the whole chain. But, as a matter of practicality, no other store in the chain is going to realize that you are banned, and that store may not even realize that you are banned a few years from now...but if you are ever caught shoplifting in one of their stores ever again, you will have the whole book thrown at you.

3) You WILL get a civil demand letter.

I hope that this gave you a serious wakeup call about your future. I hope that you are seriously sorry that you ever shoplifted and not just sorry that you got caught. You can ruin your whole life doing things like this and its never worth it.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
1. Yes, the video plus your signed confession is more than enough fr the police to charge you.

2. Unlikely, I have never heard of a lifetime ban but I have no idea what the paper said.

3. Again, unlikely, but the paper you signed may have indicated otherwise.

Hopefully the police will not show up to charge you, it's still possible. I would think if they wanted to press charges they would have had the police come right away. That being said, if upon further review they realize you have stolen from them before, they may forward what they have to the police and see what happens.

You should expect a civil demand.
I have heard of lifetime bans quite often. Walmart is FABULOUS at banning shoplifters for life and from their entire chain. Same with Disney -- and their companies. If this thief is ever caught in the store again, he/she can expect to be charged with criminal trespassing. And if he/she is caught in the midst of taking something? Another criminal charge for theft.

dave33

I have heard of lifetime bans quite often. Walmart is FABULOUS at banning shoplifters for life and from their entire chain. Same with Disney -- and their companies. If this thief is ever caught in the store again, he/she can expect to be charged with criminal trespassing. And if he/she is caught in the midst of taking something? Another criminal charge for theft.
Although anything is possible that just does not sound realistic to me. I may have a little experience with this. Regardless the o.p. never said what chain so it's impossible to say. I also find it umlikely that someone will be banned from one state to the next. I mean seriously, what's the chances that the o.p. was in a store and that store's policy is a lifetime ban and the o.p. goes to another store in that chain and has a legal issue because of it?
Maybe what you say is possible, but probable? Even remotely so? Honestly, have you ever even heard of someone charged with trespassing that got a lifetime ban and was charged for going into another store in that same chain?

Ohiogal, I must say that even if you are a lawyer some of your posts are incredibly nieve or you have one heck of a chip on your shoulder for people who post in this section. This whole lifetime ban from an entire chain is ridiculous.
You tell the o.p. with certainty that they have a lifetime ban from the entire chain without even knowing what chain. Nobody can say with certainty with the information that was provided. The fact that you always seem to go right for the worse case scenario certainly says something about your prejudice to the people who post on the criminal section.

LdiJ

Although anything is possible that just does not sound realistic to me. I may have a little experience with this. Regardless the o.p. never said what chain so it's impossible to say. I also find it umlikely that someone will be banned from one state to the next. I mean seriously, what's the chances that the o.p. was in a store and that store's policy is a lifetime ban and the o.p. goes to another store in that chain and has a legal issue because of it?
Maybe what you say is possible, but probable? Even remotely so? Honestly, have you ever even heard of someone charged with trespassing that got a lifetime ban and was charged for going into another store in that same chain?

Ohiogal, I must say that even if you are a lawyer some of your posts are incredibly nieve or you have one heck of a chip on your shoulder for people who post in this section. This whole lifetime ban from an entire chain is ridiculous.
You tell the o.p. with certainty that they have a lifetime ban from the entire chain without even knowing what chain. Nobody can say with certainty with the information that was provided. The fact that you always seem to go right for the worse case scenario certainly says something about your prejudice to the people who post on the criminal section.
Dave, honestly the big chains absolutely do ban someone for life from the entire chain. However, you are also correct that its an empty gesture on the chain's part because its impossible to enforce. However, what it does do is give the chain both the opportunity to file charges for trespassing as well as for theft if the person is caught shoplifting again at one of the chain's stores.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">