• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can someone have charges pressed on them due to anothers suicide

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kwolff

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

If a female commits suicide due to emotional abuse from an ex boyfriend as well as him forcing an abortion on her can he get charged? If so what charges may be pressed?

What if the female had no history of mental illness and the only reason for the suicide was due to the emotional abuse she suffered? Or if she was currently pregnant with his child?

Proserpina

If a female commits suicide due to emotional abuse from an ex boyfriend as well as him forcing an abortion on her can he get charged? If so what charges may be pressed?

How did he force her to get an abortion?

What if the female had no history of mental illness and the only reason for the suicide was due to the emotional abuse she suffered? Or if she was currently pregnant with his child?

If she committed suicide, there was at least a recent history of mental disturbance.

So what's the story?

Antigone*

How do you know the female had no history of mental illness? Are you qualified to make that statement?

CdwJava

In theory, it might be possible. But, it would take a lot of work and more than a little luck to make such a case.

A civil suit would stand a better chance of succeeding than a criminal prosecution, but it will all depend on the details of the matter.

If you think a crime was committed, report it to the police.

A civil suit would stand a better chance of succeeding than a criminal prosecution.
I agree. Was the man forcing her to stay in the environment? If not, then she could have escaped it. Criminal charges might be appropriate if, let's say, a group of teenagers constantly berated an unpopular kid at school. Hazing him, beating him up, and coaxing him to kill himself to make the world a better place. I think I saw some current affair show, or something like that, where a group of kids were engaged in internet torment, sending bad emails, etc. and when the young girl killed herself, the parents of the deceased pushed the authorities to take criminal action against the group. But I do not know whether or not the charges stuck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">