• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can someone help re: forged checks?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lisamints

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hi there,

My girlfriend is allowing me to use this site under her name to ask a question based on something I have been faced with. To make a long story short, I am going through a divorce and have been separated from my ex for a while now because I was treated poorly and my child was treated poorly by her. I now have almost full custody. Anyway, a couple years ago, my ex stole some checks from a dentist that were issued to me only (they were about $800 worth of checks). They were supposed to be made out to my dentist for payment and they were from my insurance company. They made them out to me by mistake. Anyway, my ex got ahold of the checks before I even knew they came in the mail and she forged my signature on them, deposited them into an old joint account we had but I never used anymore, and she spent the money. I didn't know about this until months later and she has not paid me back, nor has she even apologized. I'm wondering if I should take this to small claims court or if I can press charges against her. I want to know what my options are here. I have copies of her forged signature on the checks...the insurance company sent them to me. I also can't see my dentist now due to this happening. I hope someone can help. I would appreciate someone who knows the laws in this area, not just speculation since I want to decide what action to take now. I'm in California. Thanks for your time.

Last edited by a moderator:

justalayman

you didn't do anything about it then, the DA isn't going to consider it to be a crime now.

Were you married when the checks were cashed? Living together? same when you found out about the situation?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">