• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they do this? Help please

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

CobainChick

What is the name of your state? IDAHO

Ok...here's what happened.

When I was 17 I worked with a guy named Steve who was 24. :D As we worked together, we got to know each other really well and have since become like best friends. He has a girlfriend whom I've met, and we all went out a few times to 'float the river'. OK. Steve is on Probation for grand theft. He stole a car a few years ago and served time in prison for it. :(
One night me, Steve and another friend were out fishing. Steve was practically falling asleep, so I drove him home. We were a little late for his curfew, and his probatoin officer called. I had to drive over there to see them, and Steve got in a ton of trouble. The officer was telling Steve that he should turn him in as a sex offender. But NOTHING ever happened between us! :confused:
A few weeks later, Steve was told that he couldn't associate with me until further notice, and was asked to tell me the same. Well, I turned 18 about a month later, and we are STILL not supposed to associate. I'm not a trouble maker; never have been, or a bad influence. I called his PO and asked since I was 18 now, could Steve and I talk? His EXACT words were..."No. If you and Steve have something going on, thats fine. I cant do anything about it becasue you're 18. But I'm not going to let that happen when he has a girlfriend." :confused:
So we're still unable to communicate, and it sounds to me the only reason is because he has a girlfriend. Is that fair? And are they allowed to do that to us??? PLEASE HELP!!! Sorry it's so long.,........lol...
Keyann

<Bill>

Yes they can do that Courtney, along with not allowing him to drink alcohol even though he's over 21.

CdwJava

The P.O. has the right to do many things. One of those things is to say who he may associate with or not. If Steve has a problem with the conditions of his probation, Steve can get an attorney and go to court to challenge the condition. In the meantime, he has to follow the P.O.'s recommendations or go to jail.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">