• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cannot find local law, employer blackmailing me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

compudude86

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I quit my job Monday, without telling my boss. She became angry, and is pinning some damage done Monday night on me (this is an establishment where this damage takes place on a weekly/daily basis). She sent me a text, stating "for all the damage you did here last night, its going to cost $600 for (x) and $100 for (y). You either bring me $700 tonight or tomorrow or we are pressing charges. You need to answer me right now or I am calling the police to file a report". Upon my refusal to respond, she texted me "OK have it your way". A buddy in criminal justice told me I did the right thing by not responding, and that I should immediately contact the police. I am unsure if it was an empty threat or if she contacted the police. I have only been able to find 18 U.S.C 873, but no valid ILCS for it. Does Illinois have a law regarding blackmail? Would it be safest and in my best interests to immediately contact the police?

TigerD

If it was me, I would make detailed notes about everything I did from Monday morning through Tuesday morning. Assemble any receipts, identify potential witnesses, and of course, save the text.

I wouldn't go to the police yet. No sense getting yourself jammed up over something that she might not have done.

DC

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

I quit my job Monday, without telling my boss. She became angry, and is pinning some damage done Monday night on me (this is an establishment where this damage takes place on a weekly/daily basis). She sent me a text, stating "for all the damage you did here last night, its going to cost $600 for (x) and $100 for (y). You either bring me $700 tonight or tomorrow or we are pressing charges. You need to answer me right now or I am calling the police to file a report". Upon my refusal to respond, she texted me "OK have it your way". A buddy in criminal justice told me I did the right thing by not responding, and that I should immediately contact the police. I am unsure if it was an empty threat or if she contacted the police. I have only been able to find 18 U.S.C 873, but no valid ILCS for it. Does Illinois have a law regarding blackmail? Would it be safest and in my best interests to immediately contact the police?
Before you quit your job on Monday, did you cause damage at your workplace?

compudude86

Before you quit your job on Monday, did you cause damage at your workplace?
No I did not. This is damage that happens quite often and is commonplace in this setting, and is an extremely simple (no money needed, just rubber gloves) fix to clean it up. She is the "crazy ex girlfriend" type who watches everything, including when people count their money out at the end of the night, and just so happened to ask why I change my small bills out for large bills, to which I stupidly admitted I put them away and dont spend them until I need them that way. It just so happens that in the past two months since the business has been in a bind, I have changed up to exactly 7 bills. She has, lets say, an addiction, one that eats up cash.

quincy

No I did not. This is damage that happens quite often and is commonplace in this setting, and is an extremely simple (no money needed, just rubber gloves) fix to clean it up. She is the "crazy ex girlfriend" type who watches everything, including when people count their money out at the end of the night, and just so happened to ask why I change my small bills out for large bills, to which I stupidly admitted I put them away and dont spend them until I need them that way. It just so happens that in the past two months since the business has been in a bind, I have changed up to exactly 7 bills. She has, lets say, an addiction, one that eats up cash.
In that case, I agree with debtcollector.

If you did not cause $700 worth of damage to your workplace, then your boss could file a police complaint and the police will investigate, but there should be nothing to support charges against you.

"Blackmail" is often covered under a state's criminal coercion statute. I have not checked Illinois statutes. Blackmail would be an "unlawful" demand and it would not be unlawful to try to work out an "amicable" agreement instead of, or prior to, reporting a crime to the police.

Edit to add: In Illinois, blackmail is covered under an "intimidation" statute (other states use the words extortion or blackmail or criminal coercion to cover the same crime). See Illinois Criminal Code, Article 12, Subdivision 15, Section 12-6. Here are two different links to the law: http://statelaws.findlaw.com/illinois-law/illinois-extortion-laws.html and http://www.womenslaw.org/statutes_detail.php?statute_id=6235

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">