• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Was Broken Into... My Rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sungod916

What is the name of your state? California

Newbie here!
:)

My car was broken into back in April.
Couple thousand in damage and property stolen.

I received a letter from county stated he was convicted and they want me to write a letter stating how I feel and what I reccomend for sentancing.

They also ask to write a list of what was stolen and the total $$$ amount of damage of property?

Could the judge order them to pay me back? Or do I have to take it to civil court?

And do I need receipts, or is what is on the police report enough to get $$$ for CD's and backpack?

Any advice going into this?

CdwJava

sungod916 said:
What is the name of your state? California

Newbie here!
:)

My car was broken into back in April.
Couple thousand in damage and property stolen.

I received a letter from county stated he was convicted and they want me to write a letter stating how I feel and what I reccomend for sentancing.

They also ask to write a list of what was stolen and the total $$$ amount of damage of property?

Could the judge order them to pay me back? Or do I have to take it to civil court?

And do I need receipts, or is what is on the police report enough to get $$$ for CD's and backpack?

Any advice going into this?
If you want restitution, you will need to submit something to document the damages and loss. This includes estimates, receipts, etc. They wilkl not rely solely on the police report because very often we get numbers on the fly from the victim or have to make the estimate ourselves - thus the numbers may not be that reliable for purposes of restitution.

You can make estimates, but they are going to want to hear it from you.

And yes, the judge can order repayment (restitution) as a condition of eventual release from probation after he does his time.

Definitely write back and return the impact statement.

- Carl

sungod916

Thanks

Thank You.

I called my insurance company this morning and when I told them there was a conviction I heard the joy in her voice.

So hopefully he'll get attacked on two fronts, myself and the insurance company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">