• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car got egged this past weekend, I know who did it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mrep11

What is the name of your state? Alabama

My car was egged this past weekend, and my neighbor actually heard the commotion outside, came out and ended up IDing the car make, license plate, and a brief description of the parties involved. So I know who it is. They are 22 years old (seriously who does this at 22) and I personally know one of them and why they might have a grudge.I did nothing wrong, illegal, etc.

The car was parked in my driveway, right in front of the garage door, so they came well onto my property. This was no minor egging either, about 12 eggs were broken on the car, with other unbroken eggs laying in nearby areas. Luckily my sister was out late that night and when she came home and saw the damage she was able to wash the car for me. I was out of town. So there is no obvious immediate damage, but who know what future effects it might have if i dont get it refinished.

So my question is, can I press charges and what can I expect to come from this? Like what type of punishment are they facing, will I be rewarded any damages, fear of damage etc.?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Prove damages. Heck, try to prove the police that anything happened in the first place.

Be the bigger person...move on.

mrep11

Prove damages. Heck, try to prove the police that anything happened in the first place.

Be the bigger person...move on.
I don't think taking legal action is the shallow way out. Retaliating would be however, and I don't intend to do that. Note to other posters: if you are a doormat like the previous poster don't waste your time writing anything here.

Happy Trails

I don't think taking legal action is the shallow way out. Retaliating would be however, and I don't intend to do that. Note to other posters: if you are a doormat like the previous poster don't waste your time writing anything here.
Oh, come on now. Zig gives very good advice.

However, if it makes you feel better, go ahead and file a report and take the person you suspect doing it to small claims court.

Good luck.

ErinGoBragh

If I were you I would simply file a police report and leave the rest alone.

However, keep in mind the police may not even take a report for such a minor incident. The only reason I even recommend filing one to begin with is because sometimes this type of stuff can lead to more severe incidents. I had a very similar situation occur where my car was egged and subsequently keyed by the same individual, so in cases where you think this may escalate, the police report isn't a bad idea.

But really, forgot small claims, it's a waste of time and you have no real damages.

Zigner

Doormat, hah!

Come back when you've lost your small claims case for lack of evidence of any damage.
I'd have some other gems for you, but I wouldn't want to TRIP you up! ;)
(mrep11 - you might not get that, so I'll spell it out. As a doormat, you might trip as you pass over me)

mrep11

Fair enough. But how will I lose if they confess to doing it? I thought at least it would be vandalism and trespassing.

Zigner

Fair enough. But how will I lose if they confess to doing it? I thought at least it would be vandalism and trespassing.
How will you LOSE? How will you WIN? You have no damages! Furthermore, you don't even have any proof of what you claim happened.

It really doesn't matter how many times you ask the question...

seniorjudge

How will you LOSE? How will you WIN? You have no damages! Furthermore, you don't even have any proof of what you claim happened.

It really doesn't matter how many times you ask the question...
I agree with doormat...er, I mean, of course zinger...zonger...whatever....:D

ErinGoBragh

mrep:

Even if you took pictures it wouldn't matter, because you said yourself there is no damage to the car. You have been damaged in no way legally.

Also, cease the name calling of the senior members. I will reiterate what they like to tell people: If you don't like the advice here, go pay a lawyer. Although I promise you, their answer will be no different. We give the correct legal answers, not the answers you want to hear.

CdwJava

Vandalism requires damage - not the possibility of FUTURE damage. Can you articulate the dollar value loss?

And trespassing generally requires more than merely stepping foot on your driveway to toss the eggs.

Yes, there is likely SOME crime that can be articulated here, though it will be a minor one, I suspect. Vandalism and trespassing MIGHT apply in your state, but i doubt it ... though there is almost certainly SOME mischief statute in play here. Call the police, report the incident, tell them your neighbor can provide a description, then see what happens. It doesn't take a whole lot of time and effort to make that call, and you have nothing to lose by doing so.

- Carl

mrep11

Ok I get it. I don't know why I am so crazy for thinking that something wrong was done here, but I guess thats why I'm not a lawyer/law enforcement person. Just a little bitter because I know why she did it and it in no way needed any form of "revenge."

I apologize for name calling, I was convinced there was something I could do and just thought zigner was being negative. I guess there is only one thing left to do since the law won't help...just kidding :)

CdwJava

Something "wrong" WAS done. Whether it was unlawful or not depends on the laws in your state. Eggs can cause damage to the paint, and they do have the potential to cause damage. In my state some county DA's see the TIME used to clean up the mess as a "loss" and they place a dollar value on that time so they can make a vandalism charge.

Like I said, it is likely that SOME law was broken, it just may not be trespassing or vandalism ... as we generally understand them, that is.

- Carl

Zigner

Ok I get it. I don't know why I am so crazy for thinking that something wrong was done here, but I guess thats why I'm not a lawyer/law enforcement person. Just a little bitter because I know why she did it and it in no way needed any form of "revenge."

I apologize for name calling, I was convinced there was something I could do and just thought zigner was being negative. I guess there is only one thing left to do since the law won't help...just kidding :)
Look - I was offering reality. Sure, as Carl pointed out, there was likely some wrong-doing. However, you really have no "proof" and no damages. You are mad and want to make sure they "pay" for what they did.

mrep11

Thanks for the help. I definately feel there are "losses" at hand other than any damage done to my car, but it sounds like I may just be smarter to let it go. I appreciate the reality of the advice given, I just hate that someone can unload a dozen eggs on my car and really face no consequences just because a family member was able to stay up from 3 a.m to 4 a.m washing the car. Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">