• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car impounded by police illegally

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

donnieroyce

I was pulled over by the police for a traffic infraction.

My car was impounded for driving without a license (my license had been suspended but I had not been served or notice had not been mailed yet. In the best of my knowledge I was driving with a valid license).

I had a post storage hearing and it was determined that there were not reasonable grounds to impound my car (since I hadn't been served the suspension notice) so the police agency is responsible for paying my storage fees.

The facts presented at the post storage hearing were the same facts that the patrolmen who stopped me had the night they impounded my car.

The patrolmen acted malicously when they found out that I had a prior DUI that was reduced to a wet and reckless (proven by statements they made). There is an ongoing investigation into the conduct of the patrolmen.

Can I sue the patrolmen (or police agency) for lost wages from work from siezure of my car. Can I sue them for something else (acting malicously)?

Now that I know my rights and much of the law. I've decided to fight back for now on. I'm tired of every traffic stop becoming a hostile confrontation with the police. They should act profesionally and respectfully to their citizens.

Thank you for any help

T

Tracey

Examine the local newspaper and find out which attorneys have successfully sued the county/city for police misconduct. (or first amendment rights or property rights) The attorney will be best able to evaluate your case & determine whether you might get enough money to make the suit worth his/her while, or whether attorney fees will be awarded by law.

------------------
This is not legal advice and you are not my client. Double check everything with your own attorney and your state's laws.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">