• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Title forged and Vechicle stolen

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TommyTruck

I moved to NM from OH. A person in NM stole my truck by "mailing to Ohio" for a duplicate copy of the title without my knowledge, forged my signature, somehow got it notarized, and possibly retitled in NM and drove off or "sold" the vehicle. Filed police report, months later they found the truck, police report says truck was "embezzled." Don't have any copy of new title(s), don't even know the person's name that did this, and now car is at police impound, with supposed investigation under way. How do I get truck retitled in order to get it out of impound without it sitting for months and costing a fortune? I heard somewhere about asking DMV for "pink slip" as a way to get a copy of the application used when retitled, even if that works the name on it is likely fake, does anyone know if "pink slip" contains the name of the notary? My understanding is the notary that falsely stamped the title can be held liable for any/all losses. The truck is only work about $3500 and older, but it's all I have, really just want to get re-titled and move on, I'm assuming that would be a "salvage title" but again, I don't have access to the title directly. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

FlyingRon

This is what happens when you break one law. Someone takes advantage of that. This likely would not have happened if you had registered/titled the truck in the state you were actually residing in.

The notary may or may not be liable. The question is whether they knew or through reasonable practice should have known that the signer was not the person they represented they were. By and large authenticating the identity of the signer and giving oaths are the only power's vested in notaries. The notary's name is likely listed NOWHERE other than on that duplicate title that was turned in when the other person retitled it in their name.

I don't know why you are assuming a branded title unless the one you had was branded.

The question is whether you have the legitimate first copy of the title in your possession. If you do you need to see if you can convince the NM DMV to accept that (possibly backed up by the police report). If you don't have the title, then you'll have to see if you can get one from the OHIO BMV (again possibly backed up with the police report).

The notary probably carries E&O insurance, if you sue them their insurer will defend them.

TommyTruck

This is what happens when you break one law. Someone takes advantage of that. This likely would not have happened if you had registered/titled the truck in the state you were actually residing in.

The notary may or may not be liable. The question is whether they knew or through reasonable practice should have known that the signer was not the person they represented they were. By and large authenticating the identity of the signer and giving oaths are the only power's vested in notaries. The notary's name is likely listed NOWHERE other than on that duplicate title that was turned in when the other person retitled it in their name.

I don't know why you are assuming a branded title unless the one you had was branded.

The question is whether you have the legitimate first copy of the title in your possession. If you do you need to see if you can convince the NM DMV to accept that (possibly backed up by the police report). If you don't have the title, then you'll have to see if you can get one from the OHIO BMV (again possibly backed up with the police report).

The notary probably carries E&O insurance, if you sue them their insurer will defend them.
After getting moved to NM it was a matter of getting things in sequence and the normal time time to get the vehicle retitled in NM ..... probably about a week for most people when they move, so your comment implying that I was breaking the law doesn't apply. I don't know why there is a tendency on forums for people to try to "correct" or "admonish" folks when everbody understands each step of a move takes time, so that's not a helpful comment, but thank you anyhow.

I don't have any previous copy of version of the title so I may have to do as you suggested.

Any other helpful comments by the members is appreciated.

FlyingRon

You don't have an indefinite time. You have 30 days. I see you dodged actually stating the amount of time you actually were in state without registering.
Nobody can help people who are less than truthful. Good luck.

justalayman

It is a bit strange that within a week some other, unknown person, discovered your name and your previous Ohio address and went through the process of obtaining a duplicate copy of your title (which requires information some guy you don't know for less than a week won't have) plus the signature must be notorized (and haven't checked but Ohio may not accept a NM notary. Many states will not accept an out of state notary)

And then stole your truck.

And now you state you do not have your copy of the title.

Ya have to admit it sounds a bit questionable.

As to the branded title: some states require a branded title for recovered stolen vehicles. No idea if Ohio does.

TommyTruck

Once again, thank you for your insulting comments implying I'm the guilty party. One, I wasn't asked the timeframe, so I didn't "dodge" a question. It was in less than one week this happened, if you need to know (which has nothing to do with the request for helpful suggestions). I am the victim of crime, not the criminal. Many personal belongings were also stolen, boxes with documentation, other valued items, this was a robbery, and as I stated I have a police report, we know the first and last name of the criminal, he has a long list/record of crimes, but he is on the run with no obvious assets to put a lien or a place to "serve" him documents. So maybe you can move past all your "suspicion of me" as I did nothing wrong, people are victims of crime all the time. And as I found out, it's actually much easier to get a title from out of state retitled, than one in state. IN state you have to show up and provide ID, out of state you download an application on line, fill in the blanks and get it notarized, and this is an easy crime for criminals that like to steal vehicles to perform.

SO I'd like to ask again, for anyone on this forum that would like to be HELPFUL what your best suggestions are for resolving. The police impound place is saying they need me to bring a title in order to remove the vehicle. I'm calling each BMV to see what they may require, who comes first or second, and I'm imagining since the police said I can come get the truck as long as I have a title, that they would accept the police report as a form of proof that I'm the victim, and they can see the last title I did as well and produce whatever version of title they feel comfortable with, I don't really care whether it is 100% clean versus salvage or whatever, that is not what is important at this time.

For all you know-it-alls that made "helpful comments" already where you characterize me as the person in the wrong, has been a waste of your time and mine as well as anyone else on this site, and I think you should rethink your purpose for being on here if that is going to be your approach to someone innocent. I think I just talked myself through what needs to be done, but if someone else that would like to actually be helpful is on this site, I would appreciate any good suggestions. Obviously it could take a few days to resolve this - particularly with Ohio if I have to mail stuff back while the impound fees build up.

justalayman

Well, I didn't say you were guilty. I described the situation as I saw it and asked you if that seemed a bit unbelievable. It surely is a stretch of plausible to me.

Maybe there is something to Shakespear's writings.

A police report proves nothing more than you made a police report. It surely does not prove any crime alleged within it.

But since you're on the road for recovery there's no need for anything else. Best of luck to ya.

TommyTruck

You described a situation that you assumed, without actually asking specific questions, but thank you for toning down the rhetoric a bit, yet you continue. No, it's not unbelievable to me, because my reality is that it happened to me, that's kind of a ridiculous question to ask someone that is suffering through something. If it was so unbelievable I don't think the police would tell me that I can get the truck as long as I get title. Why would you say "the police report proves nothing more than blah blah " ? What are you really saying or implying? Do you think a person would steal their own truck or put someone up to it, as that what you mean? This is a vehicle only worth about $3500 and I've been without the vehicle for close to a year now and it was my only vehicle and it's been a huge inconvenience to say the least. There's no scam, no money coming to me from being a victim, it was liability only, and the truck isn't even damaged after all this, so it's hard to imagine what you could possibly be implying - that people file police reports for no purpose ? You may have overlooked that I said the police knows who the person is and they have a history of doing stuff along these lines, so yes, to the police, it is proved that a crime has occurred. So please stop your nonsense replies, geesh you are seriously like no help. If you think what you are doing is "help" then please stop replying to this thread and go pick on someone else that you think won't stand up for their rights.

If a crime of robbery to your personal possessions and personal documents ever happens, you will see exactly how plausible it is, apparently you are more fortunate than that. Crimes happen all the time, all over the US, that don't get resolved where people are on the run or things aren't recovered, what world do you live in? Try visiting the crime statistic web sites or the crimes that even the local PD make available to the public. This type of "out of state" crime, and many others, like identify theft (which this is a form of that, and could lead to even more harm than that, had I not called the credit card company and reported it). These types of crimes can be very difficult to recover from. I simply got lucky that the truck magically showed up and it would be a real treat to not have to take the bus anymore. Now if you want to continue your style of preaching you go right ahead and feel good about yourself, I'm not responding to you anymore as it appears your goals are to argue, assume, demean, and criminalize new members that join this forum that actually need something - help - not cross examination or implications they are criminals or liars. Thank you and have a great rest of your life.

TommyTruck

Once again, thank you for your insulting comments implying I'm the guilty party. One, I wasn't asked the timeframe, so I didn't "dodge" a question. It was in less than one week this happened, if you need to know (which has nothing to do with the request for helpful suggestions). I am the victim of crime, not the criminal. Many personal belongings were also stolen, boxes with documentation, other valued items, this was a robbery, and as I stated I have a police report, we know the first and last name of the criminal, he has a long list/record of crimes, but he is on the run with no obvious assets to put a lien or a place to "serve" him documents. So maybe you can move past all your "suspicion of me" as I did nothing wrong, people are victims of crime all the time. And as I found out, it's actually much easier to get a title from out of state retitled, than one in state. IN state you have to show up and provide ID, out of state you download an application on line, fill in the blanks and get it notarized, and this is an easy crime for criminals that like to steal vehicles to perform.

SO I'd like to ask again, for anyone on this forum that would like to be HELPFUL what your best suggestions are for resolving. The police impound place is saying they need me to bring a title in order to remove the vehicle. I'm calling each BMV to see what they may require, who comes first or second, and I'm imagining since the police said I can come get the truck as long as I have a title, that they would accept the police report as a form of proof that I'm the victim, and they can see the last title I did as well and produce whatever version of title they feel comfortable with, I don't really care whether it is 100% clean versus salvage or whatever, that is not what is important at this time.

For all you know-it-alls that made "helpful comments" already where you characterize me as the person in the wrong, has been a waste of your time and mine as well as anyone else on this site, and I think you should rethink your purpose for being on here if that is going to be your approach to someone innocent. I think I just talked myself through what needs to be done, but if someone else that would like to actually be helpful is on this site, I would appreciate any good suggestions. Obviously it could take a few days to resolve this - particularly with Ohio if I have to mail stuff back while the impound fees build up.

Ok, I can see that appealing to your sense of purpose on here is a waste of my time. I appreciate that you toned down your rhetoric a little, but apparently you aren't aware that real crimes happen to real people - if it happens to you, you'll see just how "plausible" it is. Identity theft, which this is a type of, are very difficult to solve, and I had no recourse until the police magically found my truck, after close to a year of me taking the bus. Truck was liability only, and there is no damage, so it's not like those that have "pretend crimes" and get some advantage out of it. Also, I mentioned the police know who the criminal is, who has a record of such things, so yes, in the minds of the police, there is proof that a crime happened, not just alleged. You seem more interested in debating and looking or sounding like a thinker that just knows everything about my case, than actually asking specific questions and learning, and then becoming helpful. I thought your intent was to be helpful, but apparently I am being treated as if I'm in court and being cross examined and assumed that I am some criminal or liar. If as a "senior member" this is your version of help, please just stop responding to this thread. Respond as you likely may, I am not responding back to any more of your nonsense comments.

justalayman

Ok, let me lay it out for you.

Ron made a post. You chastised him for his statements. I described the situation as I saw it and asked; doesn't that seem a bit unbelievable to you hoping you would see that his reading is not terribly surprising.

It was then and it still is. It may be the truth but it is still a bit unbelievable.

I have no need to argue with you so I won't. I have nothing else to offer. Good luck.

Sorry i read more of your post and needed to educate you;

A court of law is the only trier of facts and the only place guilt will be determined. Until conviction in court it is an alleged crime. The suspect is not guilty until the judge says he is.

Last edited:

TommyTruck

Ok, I can see that appealing to your sense of purpose on here is a waste of my time. I appreciate that you toned down your rhetoric a little, but apparently you aren't aware that real crimes happen to real people - if it happens to you, you'll see just how "plausible" it is. Identity theft, which this is a type of, are very difficult to solve, and I had no recourse until the police magically found my truck, after close to a year of me taking the bus. Truck was liability only, and there is no damage, so it's not like those that have "pretend crimes" and get some advantage out of it. Also, I mentioned the police know who the criminal is, who has a record of such things, so yes, in the minds of the police, there is proof that a crime happened, not just alleged. You seem more interested in debating and looking or sounding like a thinker that just knows everything about my case, than actually asking specific questions and learning, and then becoming helpful. I thought your intent was to be helpful, but apparently I am being treated as if I'm in court and being cross examined and assumed that I am some criminal or liar. If as a "senior member" this is your version of help, please just stop responding to this thread. Respond as you likely may, I am not responding back to any more of your nonsense comments.

Sorry for the duplicate post on my last comment - when I pressed the send button, my session acted like it timed out and made me sign back in, leading me to believe I had to start my comment all over again. Please accept my apology for my mistake with that.

OHRoadwarrior

Now I am confused. How does a criminal on the run have time to steal all the info needed to forge a replacement title request, transfer the title and obtain a registration by mail if he is on the run?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">